mcgarr423 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Error 3734 (locked by another user), database is already broken into front and back end

1. So we were getting this error message when a second user was trying to when the database yesterday. Error dialogue: "The database has been placed in a state by user <name> on machine <name> that prevents it from being opened or locked. (Error 3734)"

The database is setup for multiple users with front and back end files. This morning, we are not having the same issue. Two users are using the database just fine. FYI, the first user can't tell me if they had a design view open or not.

2. This morning, I am in the process of creating/editing some reports. I can go into a report in layout view but when trying to go into design view I get the following dialogue: "You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time. If you proceed to make changes, you may not be able to save them later."

With regard to #1: My thoughts are that maybe the first user is going into a design view of a query or report and that is locking access to someone trying to open the file while that design view is already opened?

And #2: When two users have the database open, the second warning comes up because one user can't make (save) design changes while a second user has the database open?.. which I think makes sense with the logic of a front/back end setup.

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit
    You are exactly right, no changes can be made except to queries, and if a user has gone into design mode then it prevents other users from opening the database. You are already half-way there, though, having a split database - making changes are far easier than without that.

If each user has a copy of the front-end on their own pc then they can make whatever changes they want, but these will be lost when a new version of the front-end is made available.
    If there is one developer who makes all the changes then that person will control the versions - develop and test all changes in a test area then copy the new front-end to production. There are lots of articles and references to version control and how to make all of this happen.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.