UT227 is offline Expert
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit

Keeping track of work hours

I'm trying to make my database keep track of employees' hours Of course, anything over 40 hours a week is overtime at 1.5x. Also, if 40 hours isn't actually worked (sick, vacation, etc.), it's at 1x. I'm not sure where to begin. I was thinking about a calendar to schedule someone's month and then weekly and also daily. I really don't know where to begin. I would like to begin by asking opinions on how to start this task. I need to keep track of how many hours worked, sick time and other leave types used. It needs to automatically calculate the rate of pay. I would really appreciate opinions on how to go about starting this.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Start with defining the requirements.

Are all employees hourly paid? No salaried employees?
    What is a normal work week (x hours)?
    Normal hours worked* hourly rate = payAmount
    OvertimeHoursWorked*hourlyRate*1.5 = OvertimePayAmount

What types of leave apply?
    Death, illness, injury, medical emergency or urgent matter relating to the following family members:
    • A spouse;
    • A parent, step-parent, foster parent, child, step-child, foster child, grandparent, step-grandparent, grandchild or step-grandchild of the employee or the employee's spouse;
    • The spouse of the employee's child;
    • A brother or sister of the employee;
    • A relative of the employee who is dependent on the employee for care or assistance.

Training/education?
    What are the criteria for vacation?

The best start is a clear and complete description of the "issue/opportunity" in plain English. You can start at high level, then gradually add detail until you have all the facts.

Here is a tutorial to lead you through the design process. Work through it 30-45 minutes and learn/understand the process. The process can be applied to your proposed database. The description used in the tutorial will show you the level of detail and clarity desired in the requirements description. The tutorial includes a problem definition, a process, a solution and some related info.

Good luck.

UT227 is offline Expert
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit
    Thank you. I've already defined those things. I was wondering how to go about starting a schedule to take care of the data. I was thinking to put the information in a calendar (monthly, weekly, daily). I can't find a calendar in Access. I don't know if people make their own, if so how do I begin to do that. How should I have the information entered? What type of tables should I have? I know that things like this are a common problem. I just didn't want to reinvent the wheel. I was hoping someone had a basic start I can build on, just a point in the right direction.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.