what am I missing here that I'm getting syntax error missing operator:
    SELECT [Employee ID]

FROM [Document Association]
    WHERE [Document Association].[Document ID]='725'
    INTERSECT
    SELECT Counter
    FROM [Completion Documents]
    WHERE [Completion Documents].[Document ID]='725';

The idea is I have employees that are assigned document training in separate records, and I'm trying to obtain which employees have completed a certain amount of records (like area training, so one record might me useful for different areas).i.e. Packaging training requires you to have completed training document 1, 2, 3, so I'm trying to obtain which employees completed all three documents. Thanks

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    access sql does not use INTERSECT - so the fact you are means have to ask the question - is your backend Access or SQL Server?

And I can't see why you would want to use this based on what you are trying to achieve

Also ='725' implies the datatype for document type is text - I'm assuming it is actually a number, but if it is actually text, add the single quotes back in below

I would have thought something like

SELECT EmployeeID, Counter
    FROM [Document Association] INNER JOIN [Completion Documents] ON [Document Association].[Document ID] = [Completion Documents].[Document ID]
    WHERE [Document Association].[Document ID]=725

Or perhaps

FROM [Document Association] LEFT JOIN [Completion Documents] ON [Document Association].[Document ID] = [Completion Documents].[Document ID]

To mimic INTERSECT you would need to use a union query

FROM [Document Association] LEFT JOIN [Completion Documents] ON [Document Association].[Document ID] = [Completion Documents].[Document ID]
    UNION SELECT EmployeeID, Counter
    FROM [Document Association] RIGHT JOIN [Completion Documents] ON [Document Association].[Document ID] = [Completion Documents].[Document ID]
    WHERE [Completion Documents].[Document ID]=725

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.