N7925Y is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit

Linking Parent and Child form error - communicating with the ole server or activeX control

I have a subform within a subform. When I link them together I get the following error code when i try to add data:

"the linkmasterfields property setting has produced thiserror: a problem occurred while microsoft access was communicating with the oleserver or activeX control"

Thoughts?

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    I'm willing to bet you're not actually using an ActiveX Control! This particular error is usually, but not always associated with opening a Form, and is apparently caused by all kinds of things, and, to the best of my knowledge, it is very seldom, if ever, actually connected with communicating with a OLE server or ActiveX Control, nor is it ever caused by the possible reasons given by the message!

The most common cause, going by what I've seen online for the past ten years, has to do with using a non-English language with Access, and need to set the language for non-unicode programs to that foreign language. Here's a link explaining this:

You receive an error message when you start Visual Basic for Applications code in an Access database

Note that although this link gives a specific Version of Windows and/or Access, the same problems persist over all combinations of Access and Windows.

And always a possible solution, when things suddenly go phooey, for no apparent reason, is to create a new, blank Access file and Import everything into it.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.