rjayb118 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

How to assign employees

Hello.
    I have a table that has 100 customers. What i want to do is to assign 10 customers to 1 employee using a form. I already have a query set up to get just what i need from tblCustomer, i just wanted to add the employee name next to the customers info. How do i do this. Thank in advance.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    You will probably want to use a Form/SubForm arrangement with the Employee on the Main Form and their customers on the SubForm. 1:m relationship

Thank you for the reply. Can you maybe elaborate your suggestion, sorry can't picture it.
    I have a field named "Assigned Employee" on my tblCustomer. I wanted to add my employee name on a selected 10 (by query) customers.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    You will need a form with the Employee's table (or better a query of the same table) as the Record Source of this form. The Employee's table should have an AutoNumber as the Primary Key (PK) of the table. You will need another form in continuous view or datasheet view that has the Customer's table query and the Record Source. This form will be a SubForm on the Employee's Form and then all that is necessary is to properly set the LinkMaster/ChildFields properties of the SubForm Control. They should be set to LinkMasterFields = Employee's PK field. LinkChildFields = "Assigned Employee" field. That's it. Questions?

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    On the main form would be a combobox where you would select the employee. The subform would be a continuous form with one field, the customer (a combobox).

An alternative would be a listbox the customer names. After you select the employee you could double-click the customer, then OnDblClick event you would run a query to add the record using those two fields.

Keep in mind what you want to happen if a customer is already associated with an employee - if it can be assigned to two employees or not.

thanks, I'll work with the suggestions within the day.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.