Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bubi is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I have tried this and I am now at this stage:

- Have my users added to Sql Admin table
    - I Get User from user computer and verify it it exists in SQl admin table. If it does application continue if not message appears "Not existing user" and Access closes.

Connection to SQL server is done through Connection string that I set in code together with password and user name for the whole group that I created in Sql server.
    But now I am asked to provide with option to reset or change in some way the password that I submit to Connection string because I am here temporary and they want to be sure that password get changed.
    Everything looks great and they are satisfied, but now I don't know how could I do this, since password and user name is hard-coded in connection string, that looks something like:

Public Const strOLEDBConnect = "Provider=Microsoft.Access.OLEDB.10.0;Data Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=MyServerName;Initial Catalog=MyDataBase;User ID=GroupUserName;Password=GroupPassword"

Thanks a lot

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Instead of making the strOLEDBConnect a public const, why not make it a variable whereby you can change it within the vba code before you connect. You could then put in some code in your startup main form which changes this variable to make the connection. You could also put this connection string within a field in the dbo_AdminTable so that after you grab the user, you can then retrieve what the connection string is for that user.

I'm thinking that you could also have a TestGroupUserName/TestGroupPassword or have multiple different GroupUserNames/GroupPasswords on SQL Server. Your vba code would then create the appropriate connection string based upon some selection on the Main Menu or based upon a user (ie. if the GetUser = "jkohn" then grab the connection string with the TestGroupUserName and TestGroupPassword, otherwise grab/create a different connection string.) After you leave, the TestGroupUserName on SQL Server could then be deleted without changing any vba coding.

Just a couple of thoughts.

alfaista is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I just work around the shift key issue by adding code to my shut down procedure of the database, if it is an accde/mde, disable the shift key, if it is not, then don't. So far I've been able to go from my development version .accdb to my .accde very easily, with the shift key being set correctly for each file.

Prophets_Song is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    BRAVO, pkstormy! I opened your database and now my Save and Print buttons are permanently disabled. Rebooting didn't work. What a jackass I am to run code I found on this forum...

redbull is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Oh wow.....

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophets_Song View Post
    BRAVO, pkstormy! I opened your database and now my Save and Print buttons are permanently disabled. Rebooting didn't work. What a jackass I am to run code I found on this forum...
    See if this db will help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.