joe31623 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2016

What is the difference b/w MOADE and MOAL (RE: VBA References)

I am doing some work in VBA using an excel document and an access document. What is the difference between the Microsoft Office (16) Access Database Engine Object Library (MOADE) and the Microsoft Access (16.0) Object Library (MOAL)?

I was following a tutorial and accidentally loaded the MOADE instead of the MOAL, as instructed; however, everything seems to be working. But I'm just doing some very basic stuff.

I would like to know when you would use one over the other.

Thanks in advance...

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I am unfamiliar with this reference. Where are you seeing it? Are you seeing it from within Microsoft Excel?

Perhaps you are using an acronym when asking your question. What company do you believe provides this reference. Are you referring to a Microsoft Office library?

Windows 8 Access 2016
    Thank you for your response.

These are libraries found in the Excel VBA editor that are used to work with Access. I provided the complete name of the library with the acronym in parenthesis after them above.

Should this question be addressed in an Excel forum?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I do not suppose it matters where you post your question, as long as you let others know if you post the same question in multiple forums. In this case, I think it is a relevant question for either forums.

My best guess is that MOADE is an acronym for Microsoft Office Access Developer Extensions. IIRC, Access Developer Extensions have been deprecated since version 14. Perhaps you loaded it on your machine back in 2007 or something. Another thing may be version 16 includes the old Developer Extensions in Office Pro.

I say reference both the libraries. Then, when you are done building code, remove the MOADE and try to compile your code. If you get a compilation error, you will know you need it.

Windows 8 Access 2016
    Thanks again.

I found this learning resource that references both libraries: http://www.functionx.com/vbaccess/Lesson22.htm

I am unclear after reading it a few times why you would want one over the other. This remains an open question if someone has some insight as to why to use one over the other. Most importantly, this detail doesn't prevent me from being productive and (once again) I appreciate your response. I'll re-visit this thread if I find something out to further this thread.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.