Western_Neil is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

ER diagram check

Hi

I back again with what I think is workable ER diagram. It feels very repetitive, tangled, and unstable. This may be me, but I sure think I am missing something.
    Any and all comments welcome

[ATTACH]25324
    Attached Files Attached Files

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Not really possible to say without a clear explanation of your business, what the db is required to do and how your processes work.

in general, you seem to have a number of ID fields which aren't referenced and a number of tables which are similar - tblunit_xxx and tblxxx. Not saying this is wrong, just trying to understand.

For example, It looks like the tblUnit_xxx's are many to many join tables so the narrative would 'Units can have many branches and branches can have many units' - is this correct?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Two major things that I want are 1) Track a unit over time (many years), in its' many characters (Name, Place, etc.) and 2) create a listing of the reporting organization at any point in time (Command, Branch).

Yes Ajax that is correct, there are a lot of similar tables. This is one of my concerns too, but each does represent a different concept. There is probably a slick way of doing this, but I can always beat it into submission with code (I hope).

"Units can have many branches and branches can have many units" is corrected over time, and the statement "Units can have only one branch and branches can have many units" is also correct for a point in time. This is another area that I am unsure of (time). If we change Units into people, and branches into trades does that still make sense?
    The repetitive parts I wonder at, how to involve time properly, and having three stars (Unit, Change, & Title) all make me wonder if I got this right yet.
    The old statement comes to mind “If I knew the correct question to ask, I wouldn’t be beating around the bush”

Thank you

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    as I said before

Not really possible to say without a clear explanation of your business, what the db is required to do and how your processes work.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    i am willing to work this out, but a lot of this is my head. If you can give a me an idea of what you want I can make something like it. This not a business but a hobby, There are no processes as I understand the term now, but there linkages in the data. As with all historical data, things change over time, what works for 1880 data may not work 1980 data, tweaks and bends to fit are not unusual.

I DO want help, and will work to give you want as best as I can.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.