ExpertNovice is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Question Task Scheduler using Service Account

Just hoping someone has handled setting up a Scheduled Task using Service Account (with no interactive login capabilities) credential to run an Access Database.

System:
    Access 2003 SP2
    Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
    Certificates are not being used

Using Task Scheduler to run an Access database macro with my credentials poses no problem, once the security is set low.

SA is a network domain service account beloging to the Local Admin group on the server. The account does not have interactive log in capabilities. To test, HKLM had the missing security key created (Level) with a value of 1 (low). The jet key "Sandbox" already existed and had a value of 2.

When the scheduled task runs the database fails to open, which suggests there is still a pop-up (macro security?) window waiting for a response.

PS. If anyone doesn't know how to schedule a database open a thread and I will show you one (cheap way) to set it up.

Thanks,

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    I've done a little bit of playing around with this and have had similar problems.

Obviously, first make sure you can run the macro yourself. If you can't successfully open Access and run your Macro while logged in, it's not going to work with the Task Scheduler either.

Next, check and make sure you're not using UAC on the database or workstation (server?). Apparently the Log On prompt in Access causes the Scheduled Task to hang even if you supply the necessary information through the command line.

Then, check that the Interactive Logon capabilities aren't really needed. Try creating a Test User with the exact same permissions as the SA account, but with Interactive Logon enabled and see if it works for that user.

Hopefully, one of those should help you figure out the issue.

ExpertNovice is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Rawb,

The goal is to use a service account to avoid the issues when a new individual assumes responsibility or goes on vacation forgetting their password will expire while they are gone.

The macro runs using the scheduler with my credentials. Of course, if I turn macro security to medium it will fail to execute.

Your suggestion concerning the use of UAC for the (virtual) server is interesting. I am unable to determine an answer so will ask the Server Admins. The database in question has no special security.

The admins who create service accounts have been asked if they would allow Interactive Logon to be temporarily activated for the account to test the issue you raise. Because of politics I will not create such an account. (Jobs are scarce!) However, I plan to test using my own computer this weekend.

Hopefully! Perhaps one of the latter suggestions will be fruitful. Once a solution has been found this post will be updated.

Thank you.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.