badmem is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Query not returning correct results

I have two tables linked by serial number. The YEAR_IMPORTED has a list of dosimeters with serial numbers and readings for the whole year. The DOSL_ALLOCATION table has a list of the dosimeter serial number along with the person it was issued to for which quarter. So a dosimeter can be issued to one person in the 2nd quarter and a different person in the 4th quarter.

When I run the query below I expected only the dosimeter readings for the 4th quarter to show up, but I'm getting the reading for both the 2nd and 4th quarters.

How can I get only the dosimeters for the 4th quarter?

Thank you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OSL_LINK001.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	25278you.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    what are the values in the qtr_01 field? and what is the field type? text? number? calculated?

badmem is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    what are the values in the qtr_01 field? and what is the field type? text? number? calculated?
    Thank you for your fast reply. The qtr_01 values are "1st-Jan-Mar";"2nd-Apr-Jun";"3rd-Jul-Sep";"4th-Oct-Dec" They are entered from a drop-down combo box. The choice is from a value list. The field type is text.

badmem is offline Novice
    Other information - If I sort the query results by clicking on the Case_Serial# column I get an error "Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression "tbl15YEAR_IMPORTED_Case_Serial#" If I click okay the query sorts and shows two entries for the some serial numbers one for the 2nd quarter and one for the 4th quarter. The QTR_01 column shows all of the readings are for the 4th quarter, but the duplicates are for different quarters - they have different readings. This is a real mess. Is there something wrong with the way the tables are linked?

Thank you.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I suggest you take the "#" out of the field name in both tables. "#" is used to delimit dates in Access, and I suspect using it in a field name is confusing Access.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    it may be to do with the # you have in the field name - using none alpha numeric characters in field and table names cause unexpected issues. I also presume this field is a normal field, not a calculated, multivalue or lookup - in either table.

After that, would need to look at the data

badmem is offline Novice
    Thanks for the replies. I think I've made a basic mistake. At the end of the year the 15YEAR_IMPORTED table will have between 1 and 4 readings for each dosimeter. There is nothing in the table to show which quarter the reading is for. When the query runs it will find all of the readings and doesn't know which reading is for which quarter.

If I import each quarters readings into a separate table for each quarter this should make the query work. Is there a better way do this?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.