EmCcausland is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Angry New to access trying to learn on my own

So I have many questions as this is my first time using this software. I'm pretty good at excel but hear that trying to track inventory with excel is a lot harder, and access is one of the better ways to go since I already have the software. I tired using a template but there is a lot more fields in the template than I need to use. I'm not trying to keep cost of inventory, I am simply trying to keep track of inventory in my project at work and it deals with many different part numbers. We receive parts daily and I want to be able to have one table be a dashboard so to speak and have It calculate received inventory as well as keep track of removed inventory so I can see when I need to reorder certain things. I also would like to keep the location of the inventory as well as an issue number that is associated with that specific part. I know it is a lot to ask but I am slowing playing with things getting some things but not others. I have my main dashboard somewhat set up but trying to tie other tables to it to change quantity received and quantity removed is being a little more trouble some than what I'm gathering from help menus and such within the program. is there anywhere I can look for help with creating such a monster? Thanks for any help sent my way.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Thank you for the video. I have been working on this since my post which was yesterday. I have a quick question. I have a main table that has my received qty and my qty on hand. I have a form which I can input the received qty of a part number. IS there a way to make it when I add the number of received qty on the form add to the pervious value in the main table instead of just replacing the value in the main form?

An Inventory/Stock Control/Management system is not trivial. It is not the application of choice to be your first database.
    Did you look at the free download offered with the video?
    Do you have any experience with Normalization and database design? These are places/subjects to start with before jumping into Access or any DBMS.
    See this article by Allen Browne re Stock taking and quantity on hand.
    Getting a good description of your requirements/business facts is a key to getting your design to meet your requirements.
    And getting your tables and relationships set up and tested to satisfy those requirements is absolutely critical to having a well functioning and useful application.

Search this and other forums, and google generally looking for subjects like:

database stock control
    inventory management
    inventory transactions for goods

Good luck.

I figured I was in for a doozy doing this. But if you want to learn to swim you have to jump in... But having places like this for suggestions is awesome. thank you for all your help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.