trb5016 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

"ID is not an index in this table" Error (I know it's corruption?)

So I have a split database. Front end is a .mdb file and backend is on a MySQL server.

Each user has a copy of the database saved locally. I have a local developer version that updates a "master" version stored on the network. The users' database then can update itself from that master version when need be.

However, the local copy on the users machine (not mine) has been getting (apparently) corrupted very quickly resulting in the given error.

All the articles I've seen say make a backup and to split your database and to ensure everyone is running a local copy. There is no data loss and the Master and developer versions of the DB remain uncorrupted.

I'm at a total loss as what to do. The user can edit data just fine until this corruption occurs and then needs to delete the local database and restore it with a copy of the master.

Any ideas? Even crazy ones...?

Thanks

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    is the corrupted FE also an unusually large file size?....it generally is.

Fundamentally there is a design problem that the users are triggering - and the task is to figure out what that is.

One place that I look is the creation of temp tables - - this can bloat the FE until it maxes out in size and crashes....and is easily fixed by either changing the design or implementing the 'compact on close' feature - although some do not recommend that approach.

SQL BE is a bit of a wild card and not sure if that is a factor - but otherwise can you have the users point to what they were doing when it last bombed ; perhaps that will point to the cause.

Windows XP Access 2007
    The database is hovering around 6,600 KB when compacted.

It's gotten up to 11,000 KB that I've seen. I try to compact it before sending it out.

(Compact and Repair is on for the user too... is that bad?)

I don't have any temp tables being created. There are maybe 6 local tables to store DB properties and then about 50 linked to MySQL.

I did change the location that the user had her local copy and the problem hasn't occurred again (yet, crosses fingers)

Thanks for your ideas - all thoughts are appreciated

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    well its doesn't sound like it is crashing due to size bloat max.

it is doubtful that a move of the FE to a different location would change anything - - - so it will probably re-occur (though one never knows)

that specific error message is not familiar to me; you should google it and try and find other Q&A on that error for Access.

when an app is crashing - the error message it flashes is not often helpful - - but maybe you are really not crashing but instead 'throwing an error' that is due to one specific cause and so that message will be the key. So besides better understanding the message - when an app 'throws an error' it is a very specific pinpoint situation - - - so question the user as to exactly their sequence of events and see if you can cause that same error on your development copy.....

Windows XP Access 2007
    From what I've google'd out of this message it seems to occur randomly with corruption.

The causing sequence (as best I can tell) is the user uses the database fine. Closes it. Opens, uses, closes. Then when they attempt to close it the error message comes up multiple times before access is allowed to close.

It then occurs on database open again. Very strange.

I guess I'm going to hold my breath and hope it miraculously fixed itself.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.