Jamescdawson is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Refreshing Sub-form following a "Filter" or "Find" instruction

Hello folks,

I have a form which contains a sub-form....

If I filter or do a find request on the Master form, Access finds or filters the record/s that I'm looking for.... So far, so good.... However, the sub-form doesn't re-fresh and the records are not displayed/remain blank.

When the Master Form/Sub-form go into this state, the sub-form remains blank even if I remove the filter..... I have to close the form and re-open to see the sub-form records/data again....

Oddly, if I go to "Design mode" and then immediately click back to "Form mode", the sub-form refreshes fine.

Can someone tell me the technique/switch/property I need to tweak in order to get the sub-form to update immediately after a filter or find request !

Thanks

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Sub forms load before the main form. So it sounds that sub has loaded, you filter the main, and even if the main is refreshed, the subform has not been changed.

How are the form and subform related?

Jamescdawson is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Sub forms load before the main form. So it sounds that sub has loaded, you filter the main, and even if the main is refreshed, the subform has not been changed.

How are the form and subform related?
    Thanks for responding.... I didn't realise that the subform loads first..... I have two very similar form/subform arrangements. One works fine and the other one (described above) doesn't allow me to find or filter. I can't see the difference. Quite frustrating really.

The form & sub-form are related on a "one to many" relationship which links the parent form ID field to a field in the subform's which records which customer the line item was collected. (Imagine a collection of materials from a customer on a routine weekly basis by pickup truck.) The parent form brings in Customer name and allocated a "collection ID" for that day's collection from that customer..... The parent form displays the customer details and the details of when the collection took place. The sub-form records and displays the individual items collected from that customer under that particular collection. There can be lots of different types of items collected. Each Item has it's own line in the subform showing description, weight and processing information.

So, when I do a find or filter on the parent form, I need the subform to reload with the line items collected on that particular collection ID.

Perhaps an "after update procedure" ?

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Can you do a compact and repair, then zip a copy or subset of the database?
    Just enough info to illustrate the issue --no confidential info.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.