jemelton is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Filtering/sorting data

I have a HUGE access file with names, addresses and types of business in the spreadsheet.

Here is the trouble (if I can explain it) The name address and other info is in row 1..........the type of business is in row 2 (corresponding to the name and address in row 1) I want to sort by state and business type.....for example I want all "A" type businesses in Indiana. Since they name and address are in the same row I can do that fine. But I have no idea what type of business it is because it sorts those alphabetically by themselves.

The only thing that the 2 rows have in common is that there is the same number in field 1 for the name address AND business type. Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

0000000023 John's Diner Anytown, CA USA 555-555-5555
    0000000023 restaurant

How do I filter or sort these so I can sort and get the state and business type in the same place.

I'm very new to access so if somebody could help me and tell me how to filter or sort I would be VERY appreciative!!!

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Before we begin, I am yet to come across any Access file (database) that has a spreadsheet in it, so I have no Idea how you pulled that off. I get the feeling you're using Access as if its Excel on steroids. It's not. What you have is a Table, not a Spreadsheet, two VASTLY different things.
    How are they broken down by fieldnames (columns)? Is it just two columns, one with the ID and the other with data? How you answer that will help get us to the solution. Your end-goal will be to have a table that is a bit easier to query (search) through to find the info you need.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Yes, it is a table, sorry I'm a newby....but I would open it in Excel but it's too big of a file..Here is a screenshot of what I've got... http://www.flickr.com/photos/87604297@N00/4685506343/
    Last edited by jemelton; 06-09-2010 at 01:14 PM. Reason: pic did not post

Windows XP Access 2003
    First off, I would go ahead and name those fields something relevant (design view). Second, I believe you will need a cross-tab query to move the second row to the first.
    http://www.databasedev.co.uk/crosstab_queries.html

Windows XP Access 2007
    Wow, that just got really complicated.....lol

Windows XP Access 2003
    well, you can always export to Excel, move the second row to the first one, and import back into Access. But I think the query (and if you'll be using Access you should know how to do one) will be faster for as much data as it looks like you have.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.