RMittelman is offline Advanced
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013

Major Slowness With Access Front End Linked to MySQL Cloud Server

So I have this customer running their business on an Access application (split, so app is local, tables on network server). It really runs just fine like that.
    Now, they want to enable cloud access for some of their customers (read-only for now). Web developer recommends MySQL database on cloud server.

I exported the database tables to an SQL file, then imported them into MySQL database on cloud server, then fixed the missing relationships and auto-number fields, and finally deleted the various linked tables in my front-end ACCDB, and re-linked those tables to the remote MySQL database.

So far, so good. I can open the linked table in Access, and it opens and displays records immediately. If I change a value in Access linked table, I see it reflected in the MySQL database, and vice-versa.

The problem is in how my application works. The Students form contains a grid (or list) which is bound to the Students table. The form itself and its controls are bound to that table and to the fields contained there. When I click on a record in the students list, it executes code which does a FindFirst on a recordset clone of the form's recordset, then gets a bookmark and sets the form's actual recordset bookmark to that. Then of course, the form refreshes and everything displays properly.

While this is quite fast using a back-end Access DB on a network share, it's extremely slow against the cloud-based back-end DB. This is true if I use a RecordsetClone or the recordset itself. It takes almost a minute to do that FindFirst, even though the criteria match the primary key definition in the MySQL database.

Can anybody suggest a better way to locate the proper record once I've selected it in the list? Thanks a bunch...

RMittelman is offline Advanced
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013
    Update: I've tried changing the form's RecordSource and/or the Filter property, with much improvement over the FindFirst method. They are both fairly equivalent in the time saved. It still takes about 5 seconds to display the new record, as opposed to the 1 second when it was connected to a back-end DB on the network. Any suggestions are still much appreciated. Thanks...

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.