shinydiamond is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Access Web App download to Excel button remove or manipulate??

I've finished building an entire web app that our remote sales team can log into and add the opportunities they are working on so that we no longer need to circulate spreadsheets to gather this information. After some trials and tribulations, I was able to implement security by using a macro that kicked off when a view was opened so the user can only see their opportunities. (I have a previous post on this if you're curious).

Today, however, one of the salespeople exposed a major issue when they pressed the download arrow in the datasheet view as well as the query I had built for them. When they download, they get all records from the database!! Help, how do I prevent this from happening? It doesn't appear that you can remove the download arrow because it doesn't exist in the client view where I edit things. I can't remove the action bar because they wouldn't be able to add new records then. Since the download arrow doesn't exist in the client view, I can't hook a macro into it to prevent the user from downloading all records.

This is major bug if I can't get this remedied. I'll probably have to shut down this entire database project if I can't figure out how to prevent people from downloading all records.
    So far a google search hasn't yielded me any results other than Microsoft saying this is a "feature".

Has anyone found a workaround for this?

shaneg is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi,

There is no way provided to disable the download button. However, you do have a few options:
    1) Don't show the action bar in datasheet view. You can hide the action bar using the 'ActionBar Visible' property for the view. This will prevent downloading. It does mean that the add/delete buttons are no longer available either, although you can add your own buttons to the datasheet for that purpose if necessary (or just let people delete by selecting records, and add by scrolling to the end)
    2) The download button only removes filters applied 'dynamically', as you do in your macro. However, if you open the view as a popup, and supply a Where clause, that where clause will restrict the data shown, even if the download button is used. I'm not sure exactly how you are filtering your records now, so I'm not sure if this is a solution you can apply in your case.

Hopefully one of these options might help you.

Hi Shaneg,
    Thanks for the reply. I had no idea the datasheet was still editable without the actionbar! How do you add buttons to the datasheet without the actionbar? I'm going to try your 2nd suggestion as well but adding a save button (so I can attach a macro to it) in the datasheet view would solve my issue quickly.

I think I figured out how to add buttons to the datasheet view, although it shows a button next to each record.

Shaneg,
    After spending an hour on this, your option #2 is now seeming like the more powerful one. If I add a button in list view that launches datasheet view, I can apply my filter by user with the where clause. However, for this to be complete, I now need to get rid of or hide the main datasheet view that was automatically created so that users can access it and press the download to excel button. Can I do this without loosing the view inside the popup?

shaneg is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Yes, adding buttons to the datasheet view means that the button will be duplicated for each row. Note that you don't need a button to save, though, a row will save automatically when focus is moved to another row or when you leave the view.

I don't think you can hide a view, but you can create a new view (under the Advanced menu on the ribbon) to use as a popup, and then delete the view in the view selector for the table. Then the new view will not be visible anywhere (except when you open it as a popup)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.