rnbwkat is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2007

Unhappy access split DB to mySQL (backend only)

I have an interesting (and I hope simple) problem. First off, I am a SQL person, not an access person, so that might help in your answer.

I have a 3 part Access database. Pretty simple - front end with all the forms and queries, reports, etc, and a split back-end of 2 mdb files. I am trying to convert this to putting the data (the 2 split files) on a server with mySQL and then use ODBC to link to that source.

I have successfully converted the 2 backend databases to mySQL and they are now there. Now, if I open the front end and go to "Linked Tables" of course the old source is still the mdb files. I have figured out (or so I thought) the ODBC part in Access, but it links and creates 2 sets of tables. What I can't figure out is how to simply change the linked table pointers from the current mdb file to the ODBC connection? Do I have to delete the tables in the mdb links first then re-create?

This is with Access 2007 to mySQL 5.x. There must(?) be a simple way to do this..

Thanks so much in advance for ANY help..
    Kat

Hi Kat,

You should be able to delete any or all the links in the database window, after all they are just links. If your tables are on the SQL Server its just a matter of re linking. If you have deleted the links from the database window then on the main menu go to file>>get external data>>link tables.
    You then navigate to where your tables reside on the server select all then ok. One caveat I use Access 2000 I assume it will be the same.

Regards,

Richard

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.