laelling is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 64bit

Splitting Database

Hi All,

I split my database in Access 2013 and now I’m having some issues that I think stem from that. I keep getting alerts that state names/paths are incorrect. I think it may have to do with linking tables to the back end after the split, but I can’t link the tables because then I get a message that the tables don’t have a valid name "'DIActivityBasicsInfo' is not a valid name. Make sure that it does not include invalid characters or punctuation and it is not too long." This happened for more than 1 table name, and so I messed around with renaming some of them because I thought I wasn’t using proper naming, but I’m not so sure that is the case…

Also, when I try to open one of my queries it says "The Microsoft Access database engine cannot find the input table or query 'DIActivityBasicsInfo.'" Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly."

Any insight is appreciated. I am a novice with Access.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails could not find input table or query.jpg  

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    more than likely, it is not an issue of the name length but is an issue of a different spelling as well as the paths are not valid. When you split the db, you have to relink the tables in the front end to the back end, but I'd have 'always prompt for new path' chosen and navigate to where you put the back end. Your picture does not show whether or not the table referenced by the message is spelled differently or if it is even there.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

In my quest to fix this, and before I had even posted on this site, I had changed up the table names out of concern they weren't appropriate names. I did see a discrepancy between the front end and the back end, and I have since fixed it so the tables names are the same between front and back, but I still am getting the same error message. So I had never relinked the tables between the ends, and when I try to do that I get the message below. When I go through and try to refresh the links for the individual tables, I get the same error message for approximately half of them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	link messages.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	24335

Also, when I try to create a command button for opening one form when in another, I get the below message. I am linking them based on the keys (and this worked before), but again, running into trouble doing this after splitting the db.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Open form error.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	24336

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    The spelling in the navigation pane, error message and linked table manager look the same as far as I can tell from the tiny picture font.
    My guess is that you had the 'track name changes' feature turned on and there is corruption somewhere between what's stored in the system table for the fe names, the names of the linked tables in the fe and the names in the be, especially if you renamed after the split. If you are sure you can distinguish between linked an non-linked tables in the fe, you could try deleting them first, compact/repair and relink, or if you have not done a compact repair at all, try that first.

Another option is to start with a new fe, import all the queries, forms, reports, modules, fe tables if any (NOT linked tables) etc. into the new fe, then relink the tables to the be when all the other objects have been imported to the new fe. Note the bold line in my signature...

Edit: I'm assuming you used the built in database splitter tool to split your db, not just that you imported from the fe to a new be and deleted everything from the fe.
    Also, I believe the max characters for a table name in your version is 64, and you have less than that.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Hi Micron, you've been very helpful and I appreciate your prompt responses! I'm still really at a loss with the re-naming and I'm concerned about messing something up with deleting tables, so fortunately I do have a backed up copy from right before the split. I am going to revert to that. I really was hoping I could try to learn how to fix it, but at this point I think it's counterproductive.

Thanks so much and have a nice weekend!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.