Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Hey I hope this is making a little more sense now so everyone will quit bullying me.
    Sorry that you feel that way - we only kid around with people we like...
    Anyway, my take on temp tables is that I used them for very short term in-out data movement and mostly when I needed a way to be able to retrieve a partial record with one or more 'locked in' values not allowed to be changed. Once though, it was to build a calendar sort of input form where I had to present row data as columnar inputs, so temp tables were the way to go. Sounds like you want to have them exist for a number of days or however long it takes to use up all of that original loaf. If you followed the suggestion to make the temps and bound controls drive the validation (i.e. they had the same restrictions as the main tables) I see no advantage to having them for your case. For records in progress more than a few minutes, I don't think it makes sense, based on the description of your process. Be that as it may, I would not use dashes in their names as you've indicated. This violates the general rule of no special characters in any names, save for the underscore.

As for how to present the tables, one advantage of the tab control is that you can keep the records loaded on each tab. If they're related, that could be a good thing. The other idea would dump one set in order to look at another.

is there a random access memory within VBA for records that could hold data
    I think what you've just asked is there such a thing as a recordset. When you declare a recordset you allocate memory space to that variable. When you SET it to some data source (query or table) the memory space is occupied by the records, which is why it is important to code to destroy recordsets regardless of whether execution of the procedure is normal or interrupted by an error. I read your last post as if you intend to have these sets open for long periods of time, which is not advisable to say the least. Sorry if that's incorrect, but regardless, it's easier to work with tables (temp or not) than it is to manipulate recordsets - especially if the work requires data validation. That's my take, hope it helps.

vicsaccess is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Oh, thats funny. Sorry Micron if i gave the imprecion that i was being serious. i learned real quick on this forum, most of the replies have your interest in mind but they may not have the time to type out a lengthy step by step reply. actually thats one reason i try and reply to some post, to take the time to walk someone new thru what i've been taught here. if you didn't notice, i play right back with my replies if i have some sort of previous conversations with someone. i did learn a important lesson though. i wish the quick reply window was a little larger so i actually typed the post in a word document and didn't realize till after i posted it how long it was, whoops.
    Back to the temp tables, they would all be emtied or saved at the end of shift by a prompt. I really like the ideal for many reasons, one of which, i said i have validation in place but really need more. My rookie thought was thinking about my form setup, it is based on linked tables with slow netwok speeds. I could do the data validation thats needed, better and faster with this setup that i can't now because of the lag it creates. Rather than doing the connection to the linked tables and validation after each entry as it is now, I could do the full validation that is needed, faster being that it saving to a local temp table on the users desktop as it validates. Let the users enter all data, double check it and then run a recordset loop to add all the records from that loaf of bread all in one move and one connection to the linked tables.
    as for the tab control, i like tab controls but beoing that all the records are actually part of the parent form, would this create an issue having several of these form/subform's on the same page? Thats were i was leaning towards using command buttons to control thr recordsource.
    as always these are my rookie thoughts looking for direction and having fun while i'm doing it
    asalwaysthanksforypurhelp

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    i wish the quick reply window was a little larger
    Try 'Go Advanced'.
    saved at the end of shift
    Not something I would do. Too much time elapsing between entry and validation. Any repercussions on making decisions only to find data is invalid? Human nature being what it is, at end of shift isn't the mindset is to 'get outta here', which is not supportive of what needs to be done to fix invalid choices made maybe hours before?
    As for what you said about the tab/page relationship, not sure I get it. Whatever you use to navigate through your main records (combos, nav buttons, etc) has to do with what's shown on the main form and the child forms fall into line. To illustrate, one of my apps had user info on the main form. Each tab control page had their user rights for the applicable functions in that app: documents - records - tools - user defined settings. So in that respect it was still a one to many relationship that I could have used 4 subforms for, but I preferred the other look. The choice of user was driven by a combo box selection.

vicsaccess is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Thanks Micron, i like the concept of doing it this way, but as you pointed out it is going to have some challenges. For now i think i won't know till i put together some sort of test, so that's what it looks like this weekend will be, another weekend spent researching and building, one of these days my wife is going to pour water on this computer. If you or anyone else thinks of any other challenges or ways that they have done something similar, as always I'm a sponge soaking it all in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.