Paul H is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

(Partly) Wasted Effort Rant

Yesterday I spent a half hour detailing a frustrating function failure. It was a dCount function that wouldn't update based on the criteria I was passing it, but it wasn't being flagged with a syntax error either. Domain aggregate functions are a bugaboo of mine with their confusing brackets and quotation marks. I never seem to get them right the first time, but I went at it six ways from Sunday and was getting nowhere. So I came here and painstakingly documented my efforts and formatted my code. I even stayed late to do it and when I tried to publish my topic, my browser crashed. After a brief expletive, I decided to call it a night and start fresh today. I started from scratch again, copied and pasted my code and described the various results. Everything I tried had failed and I was just about to put it in your hands when I made one last attempt to get it right and what do you know? I succeeded. This is not the first time this has happened. The very process of laying out the problem here frequently results in a solution, but the world will never see my well constructed masterpiece with its many iterations of faulty code. As it is, I appreciate this forum and the support I get here. It is a great learning tool and rarely fails to come through when I'm in a pinch. I just wish I'd tripped across my solution much earlier.

Rant over.
    Last edited by Paul H; 03-30-2016 at 01:01 PM.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Sometimes the solution is to sleep on it. Seriously, I once listened to a fascinating radio program about sleep, deprivation of, dream states, nightmares, the whole gamut. There is a sub conscious area of the brain that processes when the rest of you is "turned off" for the night. Often, when you awake, the solution, or at least a path to it, is passed to the conscious mind without you realizing it. Don't mean to profess a great deal of knowledge on the subject, but that's probably why we have the expression "sleep on it" and I for one, practice it when need be.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Perceptus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    What you need sir. Is a rubber duck.
    http://www.rubberduckdebugging.com/

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    That quacks me up! I agree the duck is a better option than a co-worker. Not only will you have the duck's rapt attention, you can throw him in a fit of frustration and he will happily sit there and listen again next time.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Paul,

Welcome to the club!! You are not alone. Been there.

PS: It's quite amazing that rubber ducks are so patient.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.