josekreif is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

So Annoying - Access has Stopped Working - Discussion

Has anyone else came across something like this when they run a procedure? For me, I could finish writing an advanced procedure for producing certain reports. It's working perfectly. I'm ready to run it to get a fresh report to the client for approval, and BOOM. Out of no where, Access decides to crash rather than run the procedure like it had been doing

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.PNG 
Views:	18 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	24179

It gets so frustrating. Maybe It's just me, but I always fear the worst when I see this. I get the feeling that the database may be corrupted and I'll have to start over.

I fixed it this time by opening "Debug" on the tool bar and clicking "Compile". What a relief.

I guess my next thing to try would of been a "Compact and Repair"

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    It gets so frustrating. Maybe It's just me, but I always fear the worst when I see this. I get the feeling that the database may be corrupted and I'll have to start over.
    Sometimes, databases do get corrupted and Compiling or Compacting and Repairing does not fix the issue.
    However, it is not as bad as you think. All you need to do in those situations is to open a brand new empty database, and then Import all your Objects, and Specifications from the old database to the new one. Usually the only things I need to fix "manually" after doing something like that is to hide the Navigation Pane (if I had it hidden on my original) and to select the Startup Form.

josekreif is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
    Sometimes, databases do get corrupted and Compiling or Compacting and Repairing does not fix the issue.
    However, it is not as bad as you think. All you need to do in those situations is to open a brand new empty database, and then Import all your Objects, and Specifications from the old database to the new one. Usually the only things I need to fix "manually" after doing something like that is to hide the Navigation Pane (if I had it hidden on my original) and to select the Startup Form.
    That's one of the things I liked about Access databases is their data and functions can easily be backed up, copied, and moved and still work well.

Perceptus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    You could convert an ACCDE from the database. To prevent any code change mishaps. Just save that original.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Whatever the corruption is (system table, tracking of name changes, etc.) it usually can be solved by at most, importing everything into a new db as mentioned. Once in a blue moon, things can be so screwed up that even that won't work. I backed up my work almost daily; especially if there were major changes.

JoeM is offline VIP
    I backed up my work almost daily; especially if there were major changes.
    I agree wholeheartedly, to have regular back-ups that you can restore to in case disaster strikes (i.e. what if someone accidentally deletes the database).

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Make a backup. Work on a copy.
    Access doesn't decide to go Boom. There are lots of things going on inside your computer. Some of them interfere with one another. Sometimes your code doesn't do what you think, or gets confused --it happens -- and Access and/or other programs quit working/ abort/stop/crash.

Think about people with multi user databases who either don't split the database, or share a front end or are working with a wireless network. If you read the forum(s) or do any research, you'll find these are common disasters just waiting to happen (again and again).

It's only a catastrophe if you don't have a reasonable backup/survival strategy.

Backup, even backup twice and store one in a safe place (offsite..).

Work on a copy, and back up regularly. ... and backup....

Now that you have been bitten and forewarned, think of your backup plan for data survivability.

Good luck.

mrmmickle1 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    You can also set up a .vbs file to run at X time using Task Manager.

Code:
    Option Explicit
    Dim oShell
    'open the Access file
    Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    oShell.Run """C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\MSACCESS.EXE"" ""C:\Users\mmickle\Desktop\Managed_Care_Database.accdb"""
    When the script is executed it will open your database.

In the database you can set up an AutoExec Macro that executes on open. This macro should then contain script that checks the time.... if it is within a minute of when you specified task manager to run then it will create a backup file...else it will exit the sub... pretty simple to set up.

redbull is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    My routine for covering my rear. I don't even open the original file, and if I'm creating a program from scratch.. as soon as I open/name a database. it becomes the original file and I copy off of that.

This way, I never loose more than a days work. If I am ROCKING I will create additional backups by tagging -1,-2, -3 after the date. When my folder gets a little crazy I put everything into an archive folder so its not in my way.

Appname.mdb ' The original, file
    Appname_Gold_04052016.mdb ' backup of original untouched file. "Virgin" if you will.
    Appname_Dev_04052016.mdb ' That days working file.
    Appname_Gold_04062016.mdb' Backup of yesterdays working file. Only created if Yesterdays DEV file is functioning correctly.
    Appname_Dev_04062016.mdb' That days working file. A copy of todays gold file.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.