wesley8503 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013 32bit

Embedding Maps & Chinese Characters

Hi Guys,

May be a simple question, but this is the first time I've encountered it.

Basically, I'm trying to embed maps into my branch profiles using the Web Browser. I've successfully have the browser up-and-running, but I hit a snag when access searches the address. My addresses are in Chinese, but for some reason when Access sends the address to Maps, the address just displays as randomized symbols. I've attached a screen shot of how I've set-up maps in Access, as well as the search results in Maps.

Please help!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Search Results.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	24133Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Web Browser Control Set-up.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	229.7 KB 
ID:	24134

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I suspect this has to do with whether or not you've got chinese characters enabled for your web browser, I assume you had to install something to get them to work with Access (unless you're in china and that was the default), you may have to do the same for your browser. I haven't attempted what you're doing but it appears to be a problem on the browser side, not the access side since it is correctly displaying chinese characters in your data.

Hi rpeare,

Thanks for the message. I just tried adding Chinese and setting the default language to Chinese. It didn't work.

I then tried searching the Chinese address directly into the bing search engine and that did the trick, but then when I tried this in the browser: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...35;247號, the search engine shows: ·s¥_¥«¤T®l°Ï¤j¸q¸ô247¸¹.

There seems to be some issue with the browser transferring the information to the search engine. Any ideas?

Something I just noticed is that if I allow the form to load, and I then go to bing settings within the embedded browser and click save settings, the embedded browser refreshes and the Chinese address works. Does anyone have an idea why and how to solve?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.