Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gina Maylone is offline Always learning
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Ctrl-F problem

Good morning everyone!

I have a client whose Ctrl-F function works sporadically. And if it matters (not trying to break the rules here) after Ctrl-F doesn't work - and he tries to close the database (using the upper right x) Access will hang, and he has to close it with Task Manager. It's so squirrely, sometimes Ctrl-Z acts up too! The only code behind the form is this:

Code:
    Private Sub Form_KeyDown(KeyCode As Integer, Shift As Integer)
    If KeyCode = vbKeyEscape Then
       KeyCode = 0
       DoCmd.CancelEvent
    End If
    If (KeyCode = vbKeyPageUp) Or (KeyCode = vbKeyPageDown) Then
            KeyCode = 0
        End If
    End Sub
    I'm having trouble tracking the issue down because it's intermittent.

TIA.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Does he only have this issue with one database, or multiple ones?
    If it is just one, the database may be corrupted. Try importing all of the database objects into a new database, and start using that one.

Does anyone else have this issue with the database?
    If not, it may be an issue with his computer (virus?).

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    is the db split? and if so, are there multiple users and does each user have their own copy of the front end? If the answer is no to either of these questions then the db will be susceptible to corruption. Exception is not split and single user.

Other things that can cause problems sporadically and in unexpected ways is using reserved words as field or table names and/or more rarely if you have spaces in your field names and one of the words is a reserved word (e.g. [Product Type], [Invoice Date]).

Thanks Joe and Ajax,

Database is split, backend on a server, 4 front ends having the same problems, at intermittent times. I will check for reserved words (I inherited this project) and there are spaces in some of the fields (drives me nuts) - however, the last update I did for them on March 10, did not have these problems, he swears they started as soon as I did some updates on 3/15. If this helps, the changes I made were to make some of the fields Rich Text (in tables and forms), and I added 3 email functions - all of that works well. Also, if this helps, once in awhile they will get Runtime Error 91 or 2501. Debugging just brings me to the last line of the error handler - it doesn't happen very often - so I don't get a chance to see it much.

Thanks again for your time.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013
    Sometimes running a timer event can cause some strange issues like this.

There are no time events in the database. Any chance this could be a Windows 10 issue?

Thanks again for your time.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013
    I've been using Win 10 for several months without Access issues not that that means much.

Still pulling my hair out and my client is ready to dump me and the program because of the Ctrl-F and Z issues. I know it's not the program as it never happens to me, on Windows 8 or 10! He told me this evening it only happened to him once today - but his assistant had the problem constantly. I delved further into other programs on his machine, Kaspersky antivirus, Chrome browser, Gmail. And I've looked up known issues for those apps as well and have come up completely empty.

Could a delay between the front end and back end cause such problems? After Ctrl-F or Z fails, they cannot shut down the program, it just hangs. And then they have to use task manager.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    one other thought ctrl-F is the office shortcut for Find and ctrl-Z for undo. Try putting some additional code in to trap them and ignore them since you are not doing anything with them. ctrl-F will also open a modal window for the user to type in the search string - perhaps this is appearing behind the access window and not releasing until completed so effectively locking the application? Ask your user to try ctrl-H (for find and replace) and see if it has the same effect as ctrl-F.

And why are your users entering ctrl-F anyway? is it 'finger memory'? being typed in error, or are they expecting it to do something? if so, what?

Also, not quite sure what your code is intended to do - esc will undo in the context of data entry, whilst you appear to be effectively ignoring pageup and down - so what happens if you comment out the code?

This is a link to Access shortcut keys

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...R=1#BK_records

ctrl-F and ctrl-Z are not mentioned - which implies it is a 'higher app' which is causing the issue. Are you sure you and your users are on the same version of Access/windows, with the same updates etc - I had a client recently who had installed a windows update which stopped access running code - update was withdrawn by MS and everything went back to normal when removed from the machine, perhaps something similar has happened here.

Good morning Ajax,

They use Ctrl-F to Find, Ctrl-Z to undo a mistake in typing. I'm not sure what you mean by: "ctrl-F and ctrl-Z are not mentioned - which implies it is a 'higher app' which is causing the issue"? I will definitely have him try Ctrl-H!

Thank you for all of your suggestions Ajax!

More troubleshooting today. Is it possible that if the db is refreshing (via a macro) and someone is searching Ctrl-F it could cause this crash problem?

Perceptus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Have you tried SendKeys "^F"
    Anything is possible lol.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    I'm not sure what you mean by: "ctrl-F and ctrl-Z are not mentioned
    I meant they are not a feature of Access (so not mentioned in the link) but of Office/Windows. In access, the usual command to cancel is the esc key rather than ctrl-z. In access, ctrl-h will probably only find and replace in the existing record - and not values in lookup controls for example, so don't get your users interest up until you have tested it yourself and understand it's limitations.

Personally I avoid using these types of shortcuts since you have little control over them - my guess is the prompt window is hidden by the access window and effectively locking Access - have you asked your user to see if he can move the form (not minimise it) to see if there is anything behind it?

Perceptus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    https://support.office.com/en-us/art...2-d324c623751f

Search for Ctrl+F

Search for Ctrl+Z

They are definitly listed

CJ_London is offline VIP
    they are in your link, not in mine...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.