autopopulate a field, etc

I am totally new to Access, and have inherited a database from which I need to export some data. There are numerous tables, queries, forms ... I've never quite seen the like.

There is a master table called Objects which contains most of the data I want to export. It has an index number, 1 through 27,000 odd.

There is another table called Keywords. This is a list of 318 keywords. Two fields: an index number (1 though 318), and the correlating keyword. e.g. 1 = CRIME, 2 = POLITICS

There is yet a third table called Object_Keywords. This has a number that is the same as the index number in Objects. It also has the Keyword number (though not the actual keyword itself).

What I want to do is import (?) all of the keywords relevant to a given record in Objects.

I've been able to create drop-down lists through lookups and so forth, but that's not really what I want (It would mean manually assigning keywords to 27,000 records).

Any help very much appreciated.

OK, so I seem to have made more progress in the last 30 minutes than I have in the last two days.

I have made a new table through a query that more-or-less does what I want it to do as described above ..

EXCEPT

Because a given record can have more than one keyword, the new table has generated numerous rows based on the number of keywords.

Is there a way to merge those Keywords so they only appear in one field, separated, say, but commas ?

nhorton79 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2007
    From the sounds of it the Objects_keywords table is what link the Objects and Keywords table in a many to many relationship.

You shouldn't duplicate information in a database I.e. Storing the actual text value of the keyword against each Object. The number stored links to the keywords to the object.

If you want a report of all the objects matched with their corresponding keywords you could write a query to include the object_id and a dlookup which compares the keyword_id in the object_keyword table with the keyword_id in the keyword table and returns the keyword_name.

Hopefully all this makes some sense.

If you want to post the actual table names and field names, I could write a query to extract this info, if that sounds like something you would want.

Much appreciated. I should point out that this is only a temporary need: the ultimate goal is to export the data as an XML file for upload to Wordpress (which will in turn become a kiosk installation). Once that's done, the Access database can do what it needs to do, and Wordpress do what it needs to do. I just don't want to have to manually create 27000 posts in Wordpress

nhorton79 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2007
    That's exactly what a query can be used for: to gather data for report or export. It won't change the data just combine related data in an temporary datasheet for viewing

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.