GraeagleBill is offline Experienced Old Geezer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

DAO Recordset being updated, but updated fields do not reflect the change.

I have two DAO recordsets, "rsFr" and "rsTo". The code below is supposed to populate fields in "rsTo" from "rsFr" and set the remaining fields to zero in "rsTo" when "rsFr" becomes empty. The "rsTo" will always be >= "rsFr".

The innermost loop While Not rsFr.EOF runs okay in debug, but execution trace seems to disappear when the innermost Wend is reached.

Two issues remain: 1) The display does not update in spite of the Requery, but does when the focus is moved elsewhere.
    2) When "rsFr" becomes empty (EOF), the remaining records in "rsTo" are not cleared (Set to zero, etc) I.e., outermost While doesn't loop.

intLocID is set earlier in the app as well as the global variable gblRetreatYear. They are not problematic in this issue.

Here's the function:
    Code:
    Public Function Populate()
    '*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=**=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ' Ready or not, here the selections made are used to populate current retreat with the rooms that are available
    ' to be assigned to the retreat attendees.
    '*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=**=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    Dim strMsg As String
    Dim strHdr As String

Dim rsFr As DAO.Recordset
    Dim rsTo As DAO.Recordset

Dim strSQLFrom As String
    Dim strSQLTo As String

If DMax("[RoomNumber]", "Groupings", "[Retyear] = """ & gblRetreatYear & """") > 0 Then
        strMsg = " already populated.  Do you want to completely RE-POPULATE?"
        strHdr = "Populate retreat with available rooms"
        If MsgBox(gblRetreatYear & strMsg, vbYesNo, strHdr) = vbNo Then Exit Function
    End If

strSQLFrom = "SELECT LocID, RoomID, RoomCap, RoomPrem, RoomSel FROM tblLocRooms " & _
                 "WHERE (((LocID)=" & intLocID & ") AND ((RoomSel)=ChrW(9658))) ORDER BY RoomID;"
    Set rsFr = DBEngine(0)(0).OpenRecordset(strSQLFrom)

strSQLTo = "SELECT GrpID, RetYear, RoomNumber, RoomCapacity, WithView FROM GROUPINGS WHERE (((RetYear)=""" & gblRetreatYear & """)) ORDER BY GrpID;"
    Set rsTo = DBEngine(0)(0).OpenRecordset(strSQLTo)

rsFr.MoveFirst
    rsTo.MoveFirst

While Not rsTo.EOF
            While Not rsFr.EOF
            rsTo.Edit
            rsTo!RoomNumber = rsFr!RoomID
            rsTo!RoomCapacity = rsFr!RoomCap
            rsTo!WithView = rsFr!RoomPrem
            rsTo.Update

rsTo.MoveNext
            rsFr.MoveNext
            Wend
        rsTo!RoomNumber = 0           < Beginning here, the remaining records in "rsTo" should be essentially reinitialized.
        rsTo!RoomCapacity = 0
        rsTo!WithView = False
        rsTo.Update

rsTo.MoveNext
        Wend

rsFr.Close
    Set rsFr = Nothing

rsTo.Close
    Set rsTo = Nothing

Me.Child58.Form.Requery       < I expected this requery to update the display and reveal the updated fields

End Function

pbaldy is online now Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I can't recall if it's necessary, but you don't have

rsTo.Edit

for the remaining records. I would also expect the requery to work, presuming that's the name of the subform control. Can you attach a sample of the db here?
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    When you get here
    rsTo!RoomNumber = 0
    rsTo!RoomCapacity = 0
    rsTo!WithView = False
    rsTo.Update
    you have reached EOF, so at most I presume you can update only one record. Then you MoveNext on rsTo but not on rs.From, so you are out of sync ...
    rsTo.MoveNext
    Wend
    I don't get why you'd make
    rsTo!RoomNumber = rsFr!RoomID
    rsTo!RoomCapacity = rsFr!RoomCap
    then make rsTo!RoomNumber and rsTo!RoomCapacity = 0 in the next step. Why not just set rsTo to be 0 in the first place? Or are you supposed to be setting rs!From to zero?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    you have reached EOF, so at most I presume you can update only one record. Then you MoveNext on rsTo but not on rs.From, so you are out of sync ...
    I have a gut feeling I know what Bill is trying to do, though not why. At the point you mention the "from" recordset is at EOF, but the "to" recordset is not (necessarily). So the remaining code is to update the "to" records that were not affected during the loop of "from" records. In other words, the "to" recordset has 10 records and the "from" recordset has 7, so that code is meant to update records 8-10.

An alternative might be running an update query that affected all the to records, then updating the records in the from loop as is currently done.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

As long as there will always be more To records than From, I see your point. I also now think you nailed the 0 update cause, because when you exit the inner loop, there is no call to update the recordset in the outer loop. Since moving off of the record works, the reference to the subform may be the issue. I would try a more explicit reference to the subform, such as

Forms("frmName").Controls("subFormControlName").Fo rm.Requery

I also wondered why it's necessary to use this complex approach over queries.
    **For some reason, I cannot eliminate the space in .Form; it does not appear in either standard or advanced views, just after posting.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Bill's code is certainly dependent on there being more "to" than "from".

The space you reference is something I've seen before. It seems like the forum software will only allow a certain number of characters without spaces before inserting one itself. Testing, no spaces:

12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890 12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890 1234567890

Edit: apparently the number is 50.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Aha! So maybe code tags would prevent that...

Windows XP Access 2007
    I think so:

Code:
    Edit: Yup, you're right!
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

GraeagleBill is offline Experienced Old Geezer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003
    The "From" recordset is guaranteed to have less or equal number of records as in the "To" recordset................because it's both inherent in the DB plus I check it as part of initial conditions.

After I did a "compress and repair", the problem went away. For the life of me, I have no idea what might have been causing the faulty behavior. I tested the functionality every way I could think of and cannot get the originally posted failures to reoccur.

I did not dabble with the alternative idea about the Requery that Micron posted.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.