Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Cliff67 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit
    Doh...Yes it is split and the FE is a local copy...just trying to make more work than I need to do

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Just a Heads-Up.

Found an oddity. I have a DB with forms created in 2006 (some Access version before 2007) and forms created recently. The older forms will not accept the change to the background color of the Header, Detail or Footer sections. No errors, just no change. The changes to textbox, buttons, etc work OK. I won't spend any time fixing this because it probably affects a tiny percent of users. An obvious workaround would be recreating the forms in your current version of Access.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Hi Dave
    I did look at your excellent utility a long time ago but not recently.
    Just wondering whether your approach is based on themes (introduced in A2010)?
    If so, obviously any old forms wouldn't support theme colour changes made.

What about the appearance of any command buttons in the old forms? Are those modified as for those in newer forms?
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Colin, my approach is entirely independent from the built-in themes.
    As far as I could tell, the only problem with the older forms was just the background colors of the forms' 3 sections.

Gail is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi Davegri. I have started a thread on a problem I'm having with Themes.
    If you could please look at it, I'm hoping you may have an idea on what to do.
    https://www.accessforums.net/showthr...d=1#post459931
    Thanks!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Gail, my program can only support one theme per copy of a DB file. To do what you want, you would have to have a separate copy of the DB for each office, each with a theme installed by my prog. There would be no way for a DB to contain several themes to choose from via VBA.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by davegri View Post
    Gail, my program can only support one theme per copy of a DB file. To do what you want, you would have to have a separate copy of the DB for each office, each with a theme installed by my prog. There would be no way for a DB to contain several themes to choose from via VBA.
    Thank you so much for your reply.
    I appreciate it

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Sorry, I have one more question.
    Do you know what this command means:
    ThemeColorScheme.Load ("C:\myThemeColorScheme.xml")
    It's confusing in the help example.

Thanks!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    First of all, you will need to set a reference to Microsoft Office Object Library 16.0 so that VBA recognizes the theme objects, fixing your syntax error.
    That's about the limit of help that I can supply.

In Access if you save a theme, it's saved as a .thmx file, not .xml, so I don't know were such a file would be found.
    Looking around the internet, it appears that very few developers have tried to interact programmatically with themes.

My program has absolutely nothing to do with the Office themes, and I've never used those at all.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    @Gail
    Your question comes up periodically and I remember trying to assist on a similar question at one of the Access forums a couple of months ago.
    I will post a link if I can find it.

However AFAIK its not possible to do what you want whilst the application is in use,
    Access themes can only be changed in design view so even if it can be done using code, there is little benefit from doing so.

Here's another link saying the same thing https://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1679599

I agree that the MS documentation isn't clear but would suggest that to achieve your aim, you need to ignore the built in themes and do something similar to that in davegri's example app.
    You would need to store the 'colour scheme' data for each company in a table
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    @davegri @isladogs Thanks so much for your responses.
    I will leave this issue alone now. But I thought I’d explain a few other things that I was doing.

I already had set the reference - Microsoft Office Object Library 16.0 and get the syntax error.

I created a Theme called Test, and found it under this folder:
    C:\Users\Gail\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\ Document Themes\Theme Colors\Test.xml

I also found an example for Excel vba:
    ActiveWorkbook.Theme.ThemeColorScheme.Load (C:\....)
    So I had thought there would be a similar command in Access. I tried using CurrentProject instead of ActiveWorkbook, and other things, but nothing worked.

It makes sense what you said that Themes can only be changed in Design mode. I was trying to change it in a procedure and then run the procedure.

I will just keep doing what I have been doing: When I install an update to the program, I copy the program to each of the 4 offices. I have a vba procedure to link to the data for that office and then I choose the theme for that office from the toolbar. I was just hoping to be able to load the theme in the same procedure that I link. That way I wouldn’t forget to choose the theme. (which is very likely I will forget at some point) They will soon get a 5th office, so I wanted to simplify.

Also, @davegri I’m sorry I “piggybacked” on this thread for a new issue. I did that to get in touch with you.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Also, @davegri I’m sorry I “piggybacked” on this thread for a new issue. I did that to get in touch with you.
    No problem with that.

In the future, I may develop a toned-down version of my theme manager that is more user friendly which would allow a user to just select a named color option from a combo box and apply it. In your case, the linker code could call the form with the combobox, so you wouldn't forget. Your DB would only need to have the colors table, the form for the combo box and a code module.

shadowlips is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit
    Was trying this out...is there a feature to copy and load the existing theme colors? (load color settings of current colors?) This would greatly speed up customization. Thanks for the module!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    is there a feature to copy and load the existing theme colors? (load color settings of current colors?)
    Program is ignorant of any Office Themes. I found Office Themes so frustrating, and that's why I wrote the prog so as to have full control of colors of my choice.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Update of Theme Manager to V04

Fixed consistency of tab control colors.
    Fixed intermittent failure to alter Header, Detail and Footer Section backcolors noted in post #17, after I found same problem with a current Access version.

ThemeManager-v04.zip

If you have customized colors and want to save your schemes, replace table ccfColors with the table from your previous version.
    Last edited by davegri; 02-22-2021 at 03:03 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.