W_Green is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Update Query with Most Recent Date

I have been trying to create an update query which will select the most recent date from another table. I know this is easily done with a select query, but I would like to actually update the data with the most recent data I entered into my table. I think my trouble also may stem from the fact that the date I am trying to pull is actually a text data type, but so is the table I am trying to update (which I have come to understand is not easily fixed). Please advise.

I have done quite a bit of troubleshooting with the minimum amount of Access experience I have, and I have not found anything on Google which specifically references this action.

Thanks.

I am confused by this. Perhaps some more details on your situation. Also, are your forms bound to your table? Do you have more than one table with redundant information. Dates are numerical and should be set up in your table as dates and not text. Access cannot determine a latest date if it is text. You will need to convert your text date fields to true date fields (numerical) for that to happen.

You probably are not the only one confused. I do not have a lot of Access experience, so I am not able to clearly identify any issue I may be having. With that said, I will try to clarify.

I have two tables (Projects and Invoices) of which my project names are the primary key. I am trying to fill in a column (last billed date) in my projects table with the data in the related table (when the invoice has been sent for processing). Instead of manually filling it in every time, I would like to know if there is a way I can create an update query from table to table to update the Last Billed Date column in my projects table. I have been able to create an update query which pulled the data as intended, but inaccurately (I would like the most recent of the invoices). I thought the best way to do this would be to use a "Max" function in builder; I know I can do this using a select query per the Sigma Totals and the sort function when the new row is created.

I have created update queries from spreadsheets I have saved on the sharedrive, and I would assume this action is also possible from table to table. Thanks for your response.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Often people jump into Access without knowledge of database.
    I think you would benefit from this tutorial that takes a problem based on a business description and leads you through a process to identify tables/fields and relationships. The tutorial takes about 30-45 minutes. It includes a solution. The result is a database design that meets your business requirements.

The Hernandez method alone is worth the effort.

What you learn by working through the tutorial can be used with any database.

Update query info

Good luck.

Do either of you have anything to add to this post which directly addresses my original and subsequent post? I was able to change both data types to date/time fields so I would think I could pull in the most recent of the dates I billed the customer from a related table. Thanks Again.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.