Flyboy1945 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Unhappy Report with subreport generates a page break after each main report record. Room for 2 records/page

I have a simple database with two tables containing very similar data. The first table contains records of requirements with several fields of data and the second table contains records of requirements and similar data) that are derived from some of the main requirements. I am using a Link table to match records in the second table that I want to print out immediately following the first table records. In other words, if the second table has a record that is based on a first table record, the link will allow it to follow. Of course I built Queries for each table and then Reports to accommodate this. It works fine but in those cases where there is no match in the link table a page break must be occurring such that I can only get one record worth of data per page when there is room for two per page. If there is a match, no problem, it will continue to print two records per page until there are no more matches of that first field record ID. I am trying to keep this as a simple database with no VBA code. Any ideas?

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    If there is no match, then how can you get 1 record (nevermind 2)?
    if there is no match you should get zero matches. Why do you want 2 records of something that doesn't exist?

Flyboy1945 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Valid questions. I now see that I did not express my situation very well. Let’s say that I need a database of flower varieties with common flower name, genus, species, light tolerance, soil type, watering needs, etc. Of some of the common flower names there may be sub-varieties and the same type of information needed. So I put together two tables with the exact same field names. I put a link table in relationships between them and identified the linkage. ID 3 in table 1 has 4 sub-variety names in table 2, so I link ID 3 to 4 IDs in table 2 and so forth. Now I want to printout the entire database and have the sub-varieties immediately follow the common flower name from table 1 so I set up table 2 as a subreport and table 1 as the main report. It works. Except that even though there is room for at least 2 common flower name info on 1 page, it only prints one per page when there is no sub-variety. When there is a sub-variety it will print the common name info followed by the sub-variety info on the same page and 2 sub-variety infos per page until there are no sub-varieties of that common name, then back to the one common name per page when no sub-variety. Perhaps I could have used only 1 table and had a field to identify that there is a sub-variety and somehow get the results I want.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.