skbpillai is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013

Blank Date Field (Calculated) in SP shows as #Error in Linked MSAccess Table

I have a list in SharePoint that I link in my MS Access Database. This list has a Calculated Field. It compares two date fields and updates a date value OR a blank. Now, when the records are sync'ed back in MS Access, all fields where it is left blank comes as #Error. Any pointers to mitigate this issue would be a great help.

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    if a date is blank, that will error any date calculations.
    if the calculation has a null in it , the result will be null
    if the calculation is using form fields, then you must use the textbox name, NOT the field name. (but sometimes they are the same)

Hi Ranman256,
    Thanks for your message. Let me explain a bit more in detail. We are talking about a list that has two dates. There is a 3rd column (calculated) that arrives at a date value based on the initial two fields. Please see screenshot below.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FIN_PCEDate.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	23527

=IF(Changed_PCEDate="",IF(PCEDate="","",PCEDate),C hanged_PCEDate)

Now, if both PCEDate and Changed_PCEDate are blank, the formula updates a blank (through "" string). This displays well in SharePoint. But when I refresh the linked table in MS Access, I get a #Error value for the FIN_PCEDate for the first record.

Interestingly, this #Error comes up only for the calculated field.

How can I overcome this?
    Last edited by skbpillai; 01-29-2016 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Image copy-paste did not work. Hence re-loaded screenshot

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    try iif rather than if

also, dates are numbers not text, so Changed_PCEDate="" won't work, the field will be null so try

iif(isnull(Changed_PCEDate),....

Hi. I tried the suggestions you had mentioned. Here are the findings:
    1) IIF is not supported.
    2) Tried using isunll(Changed_PCEDate) instead of Changed_PCEDate="". It gives the same result.
    3) So, I put in a formula like this
    =IF(isnull(Changed_PCEDate),IF(isnull(PCEDate),,PC EDate),Changed_PCEDate)
    The difference is, instead of updating the calculated field as "" I tried NOT to update, by leaving the THEN Clause empty. Ironically, it puts in 12/30/1899!!! Which means, I am not able UPDATE this field with NULL DATE Value.

Can you please suggest what can be done? Thanks.

I haven't found a resolution to this yet. All that I understand is, a NULL value for date is impossible to be set. If I use the expression "" in the IF THEN ELSE formula, it is a text-null and MS Access does not like it. If I let the field blank by NOT updating any value, SharePoint sets the date as 12/30/1899. Is there no way to set a NULL for a calculated-date field?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    if iif is not supported then not sure what you are using. I found this link which may help

https://blogs.office.com/2012/03/19/...s-and-reports/

but it uses iif, not if but does suggest you need to use formatdatetime to convert your date to a string

Hi Ajax, the link you shared points to MS Access side expressions. I was looking at more from SharePoint Calculated Column Formula to fix this. Further, this being a linked SharePoint list in MS Access, I am trying to avoid #Error being captured in the base table itself. So, I am afraid that it wouldn't solve my problem.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    well I googled 'sharepoint calculated column' and found plenty of hits - looks like the structure is along the lines of excel, but I guess you know that. I'm not a sharepoint fan (found it too limiting and too many bugs, but that was a few years ago and I'm sure it will have improved since then) Since no one else is stepping in here I would find a sharepoint forum and post your question there. Sorry I can't help

No worries, Ajax and Ranman. It was nice interacting with you. I appreciate the earnest attempts to help me out. I will, for now, leave this thread open. If any one of you finds a solution to this, please let me know. For now, I will hunt for SharePoint forums to post this topic. Yes, you can also post this on my behalf - feel free to.

RudiB is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by skbpillai View Post
    I have a list in SharePoint that I link in my MS Access Database. This list has a Calculated Field. It compares two date fields and updates a date value OR a blank. Now, when the records are sync'ed back in MS Access, all fields where it is left blank comes as #Error. Any pointers to mitigate this issue would be a great help.
    Try this: https://community.spiceworks.com/top...te-calculation

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.