jlgray0127 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Database suddenly unresponsive

Good morning.

I have a very large complex database I have been using for 9 months.
    This database is split with a front end and backend. It has 3 tables linked to a server via ODBC.

I suddenly started having issues with this database. My ODBC Connection has become very slow and a query I used to run, normally would have taken less than an minute to run, is now running for more than 5 hours, and then I have to just shut it down. I've done everything I can think of, including getting a new hard drive, decompiling the data base, running all the checks and balances on my code, etc (I had not made any changes to the database in weeks, when this started happening) and can not find the issue.

I have created a new data base, and was going to import all the objects from the original database, when I noticed, even opening Access, with nothing in it... completely blank, it was taking 45 seconds to open... I'm not sure what the deal is. Thinking it may be permissions on my user ID, since I have a new hard drive? Thoughts on what could have happened, or questions for more info, or other things I could be checking for?

The database works fine other computers. Just this PC has the issue. Thanks in advance for your input!

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    How large is the back-end of the database?
    Is the back-end an Access database, or something else like SQL?
    If it is an Access back-end, what is the size of it? Is it approaching the 2 GB limit?
    If the back-end is large, you may want to consider moving it to a program which can handle larger databases, like SQL, MySQL, Oracle, etc.
    You can still use Access as your front-end.

jlgray0127 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Thank you, Joe! Also, the back end is MS Access and it's only 24,000 kb. Not very large at all.
    I'm really confused as to what is happening. I could understand the ODBC issues and pursue that, but with MS Access so slow to open, period, I'm thinking there is something with maybe one of my access settings?
    I know the ODBC tables I am querying against, have over 7,000,000 records on them. I thought maybe that was my whole issue, but had never had any issues in the past with this. Just baffled!

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    if backend is sql server/oracle has it been upgraded recently? If so have you also upgraded the ODBC drivers?

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Since your problem is only with your PC, it suggests that the issue is with the PC, not the database. I suspect that something is either sucking up all the CPU time, or is causing excessive disk activity. Take a look at task manager to see if that shows up a process using the CPU excessively. But excessive disk activity could be almost anything - your IT gurus can help far more than I can.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.