DatabaseTools: Relationship Window

Greetings fellow Access/VBA aficionados.
    I have been expanding my databases to the current extent of up to 120 related tables per database (the databases themselves are also related using table links), and in the course of the expansion have added each table, and its interaction with all other tables, to the database relationship window, and whilst during this editing process the vast majority of the domain is visible, after saving the progress, and closing the window/database/Access, on reopening only a proportion of the relationship is visible, irrespective of navigating the full available extent of the window (using the horizontal/vertical scroll bars). Does anyone else have a similar experience and, possibly a solution to the problem?

Kind regards,

SicilaiandoBlue.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    simple issue is so many tables, so little room. Just because the tables are not visible in the relationships window does not mean the relationships do not exist. You can also investigate using the documenter or the contents of the msysRelationships table for further documentation.

If your db design is now stable and you are looking for a graphical view of the whole domain, then what I have done in the past is to take a related group of the tables (e.g. group1 invoicing, group2, stock control, group3 employee management, etc) and display on screen as required then take a screenshot and save the image. Do the same for the other groups. Where a table appears more than once (e.g. stock table appears in stock management and invoicing groups) then do so. Then in word or excel (I prefer excel) copy the images and layout as required. Then use shapes to draw connecting lines. Needs some working on (suggest use pen and paper initially to get the general layout) and will take time.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I have moved tables in the Relationships window and they always stay in the position I set them so I am not really sure what you are experiencing.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks

Sounds laborious! Yeah, the db is vast, and I know the relationships exist as they appear when I create new linked able queries. Just hoped there was an easy was to resolve the problem; may resort to creating a new db and importing the tables into that and start again as there is spare space to the far right and bottom of the (existing database) relationship window.

Thanks again.

R.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    simple issue is so many tables, so little room. Just because the tables are not visible in the relationships window does not mean the relationships do not exist. You can also investigate using the documenter or the contents of the msysRelationships table for further documentation.

If your db design is now stable and you are looking for a graphical view of the whole domain, then what I have done in the past is to take a related group of the tables (e.g. group1 invoicing, group2, stock control, group3 employee management, etc) and display on screen as required then take a screenshot and save the image. Do the same for the other groups. Where a table appears more than once (e.g. stock table appears in stock management and invoicing groups) then do so. Then in word or excel (I prefer excel) copy the images and layout as required. Then use shapes to draw connecting lines. Needs some working on (suggest use pen and paper initially to get the general layout) and will take time.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I just bought a 58" "Smart" TV at Sam's Club that was a display model (huge discount!) that I'm going to try hooking up to my laptop via HDMI. I hope to set the resolution somewhere around 1920X1200 (or the highest resolution) and arrange the tables in the relationship window. And I think I will have to install a print driver for a plotter to get the larger size printout.

I currently have 36 tables, but even using 11X17 paper, the tables are crowded.
    I will print to PDF (hopefully a C or D size - E size would be way too big.), then find a plotter (Kinko's or a friends at his company) to print it.

Well.........., that is the plan right now.......

Maybe having a larger display would help you???

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    not checked but I think the relationships window dimensions are limited to the same as forms and reports - i.e. 22" x 22". However with additional sections (for forms/reports) you can extend the height to a maximum of 200"

you might find this link interesting - has some code for creating your own relationships window

https://bytes.com/topic/access/answe...-proper-layout

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    not checked but I think the relationships window dimensions are limited to the same as forms and reports - i.e. 22" x 22".
    Still might work out

ANSI B = 11X17
    ANSI C = 17X22
    ANSI D = 22X34

I saw the code by Stephen Lebans 5 or 6 years ago. I wasn't advanced enough to be able to use it. But am definitely going to revisit it. Thanks Ajax.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.