123wouter is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013

Question Access making an form

I have a school project and there is also an access part of it. I have to make a program that documents grades for a school. I made it in Access and I have to make some forms in it for an overview from the grades. I also need to calculate the avarage from each study. I want to do that in a tabel but that's not possible. So I made query's to calculate the avarage from each study. But I cant place those avarages in a form with tabel data. So I want a form or rapport for each student that shows their grades for each different study. I have uploaded the file from what I have made. All the names/numbers etc are random. I tried to upload it on the site, but there is a 500kb cap so I uploaded it to tinyupload: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...11776431693024
    I'ts writen in dutch. If there are any questions please ask them and I will try to reply them.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    2MB zip file attachment allowed. Follow instructions at bottom of my post and file can be attached.

Your db structure is not normalized.

There are 3 tables with identical structure (Duits, Engels, Nederlands). This should be 1 table with another field to identify the 3 types (appears the Vaknummer field does that). Also, multiple Periode fields might not be optimal. If you have to add more periode fields, this means modifying table, queries, forms, reports, calcs.

Build a report using its Sorting & Grouping features with aggregate calcs in textboxes in group and report header/footer sections.

Advise no spaces or special characters/punctuation (underscore is exception) in naming convention.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2013
    Thanks for your reply! I understand the first part that the 3 tables should be one, I don't know why I didn't think about it.

The Periode part I don't understand. It's basically every 1/4 of a school year you will get 1 grade, that's why I made 4 fields. And from those 4 parts I need the average.

For that last part you suggest me to not calc in a query but in a rapport, so I don't need to select fields from table and query?

June7 is online now VIP
    You certainly need the fields selected for the report but the aggregate calcs would be done in report. This is not the calc that averages the 4 fields. An aggregate calc is a calculation that acts on records - sum or average of all values in a field, example: Avg([Periode1]).

If you will NEVER need more than 4 periods then this structure can probably be made to work.

Be aware that arithmetic with Null returns Null. If any of the 4 fields is Null then the calculation will return Null. Need to handle possible nulls if you still want a number result even if any field is Null.

Nz([Periode1,0) + Nz([Periode2,0) + Nz([Periode3,0) + Nz([Periode4,0)
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2013
    Thanks, I will work on it tomorrow and let you know.

For the Null I made a otter solution, the Periode field I made a validation rule that the value must be between 0 and 10.

Also I did for the average: avarage[Periode1]+ [Periode2] + [Periode3] + [Periode4])/4 because I didn't get avg to work, might look it to it tomorrow if I can get it to work with the avg syntax.

June7 is online now VIP
    Avg() won't work for this expression. As I said, aggregate functions serve to aggregate records, not multiple fields.

Windows 10 Access 2013
    I have thinked about it and tried something out. The problem is when I put (Duits, Engels, Nederlands) together is that the field Leerlingnr have to be a duplicated field. When I do that it will be possible to give somebody more grades for the fields Duits, Engles and Nederlands, and that's something I want to prevent.

I worked on the reports to make, but it's so complicated. I got to work the grouping on each student (Leerlingnr). I was happy that that worked for me. But the next thing is when I group on VakID I want to display those 3
    Duits, Engels, Nederlands sections from the field Vakken. It only shows the last section, and doesnt order the Periode correctly. Is this the problem with having multiple tables?

Also when I make a report and group them, it only shows 3 studens (1,2 and 5). This is becouse only those 3 students are in all the 3 tables
    Duits, Engels, Nederlands. Is it easy possible to display everyone?

And the Nz() function is really usefull, and makes it better. Thanks for that

June7 is online now VIP
    Why would Leerlingnr field have to be duplicated - what do you mean by duplicated? What is this field for?

It is possible to set up table to prevent duplicate entries for each student and subject combination. Set the two fields as a compound index no duplicates.

As I said, best to combine the 3 tables. Otherwise, build report/subreport(s).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.