avljohnboy is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2002

How to make Access 97 runtime app work on Windows 10?

I publish an Access 97 runtime application that I would like to avoid updating to a later version of Access if at all possible. I know I can always run it in a virtual machine, but I am hoping someone knows of a way to run it natively in Windows 10. The app runs from an mde file with all the 97 runtime files, and writes data to a mdb file. Everything is Access 97. Ordinarily, the app runs from the user's C:\ drive and the data file is kept on a server for safety and security purposes. The app ran fine in Windows XP. It installed in Windows 7 and ran properly in Windows 7 only if User Account Control was set to Never Notify. It installed ok on Windows 8, but the Never Notify trick did not work, so I never figured out how to make it run on Win 8. So few people ever adopted Win 8, it wasn't worth my time to figure it out. It will install on Windows 10, but does not work properly. I assume the Never Notify trick will not work on Win 10 either. Most of my customers will probably switch to Windows 10 over the next several years, so I must either update my application, which would be a MAJOR expense, or figure something out, or just tell my users to use a virtual machine. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I presume you have the original mdb file. Will that file run?

Otherwise, for runtime under Windows 10, sounds like will have to convert the db. Review http://allenbrowne.com/ser-48.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ytinfo is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I know how to bail your problem out. Send your apps.mde & data.mdb to me. I will modify them for you.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.