snipe is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

Browne's ConcatRelated function - System Resources Exceeded

Hey guys,

I'm completely stuck.

Our current system lists the accounts payable GL numbers in a detail table, 1 account per record. Like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 4.13.32 PM.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	23338
    The system that we are switching to requires us to import this info but 1 record per invoice, with the accounts in 1 field, separated by commas. Like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 2.55.56 PM.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	23339

That second snippet was created using Browne's function. (Note: I did a totals query to combine the double freight charge and sum the amounts. Its a freight charge and fuel charge, which we just bill as freight anyways.)

Anyways, I built that test query on our live ODBC table that contains 100k+ records. The query that combines the freight charges is built on that table, and I used this query to limit the data to a single invoice for testing. That query is this:
    Code:
    SELECT [AP_IVC$GL_ACCT].IVC_CD, [AP_IVC$GL_ACCT].CO_CD, [AP_IVC$GL_ACCT].VE_CD, [AP_IVC$GL_ACCT].GL_ACCT_CD, Sum([AP_IVC$GL_ACCT].AMT) AS SumOfAMT, Max([AP_IVC$GL_ACCT].[SEQ#]) AS [MaxOfSEQ#]FROM [AP_IVC$GL_ACCT]
    GROUP BY [AP_IVC$GL_ACCT].IVC_CD, [AP_IVC$GL_ACCT].CO_CD, [AP_IVC$GL_ACCT].VE_CD, [AP_IVC$GL_ACCT].GL_ACCT_CD
    HAVING ((([AP_IVC$GL_ACCT].IVC_CD)="141075-201509"));
    The query that is built on the previous one is the one that contains the concat related function:
    Code:
    SELECT Q_APDetail_grouped.IVC_CD, Q_APDetail_grouped.CO_CD, Q_APDetail_grouped.VE_CD, ConcatRelated("GL_ACCT_CD","Q_APDetail_grouped") AS GLCodes, ConcatRelated("SumOfAMT","Q_APDetail_grouped") AS AMTs
    FROM Q_APDetail_grouped
    GROUP BY Q_APDetail_grouped.IVC_CD, Q_APDetail_grouped.CO_CD, Q_APDetail_grouped.VE_CD, ConcatRelated("GL_ACCT_CD","Q_APDetail_grouped"), ConcatRelated("SumOfAMT","Q_APDetail_grouped");
    As soon as I remove that criteria in the first criteria and try and pull all records with the 2nd query, it hangs for about 5 minutes and then I get a "system resources exceeded" error. I have tried limiting the 1st query to the top 5 and 5% records, it still fails.

Any helpful tips?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    not to familiar with concatrelated but looks like it is bringing every glcode and amount through - suspect it is missing a criteria of the invoice number

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Here's the link to Allen Browne's ConcatRelated Function: http://allenbrowne.com/func-concat.html

Why do you want to Concatenate those sums?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    as I thought - you are missing a criteria

ConcatRelated("OrderDate", "tblOrders", "CompanyID = " & [CompanyID])

also be aware of

'Bug warning: If the function returns more than 255 characters...'

dheupel is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    I was getting the "Systems resources exceeded" message in Access too. It was on a make-table query that wasn't that large. Apparently, this is an issue with the 64-bit Access version. Here's the solution that worked for me: Go into design-view in the offending query. In the query properties, change the "Use Transaction" field from "Yes" to "No".

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.