hkrobster is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

URL - Clickable Report Field

Hello, I have searched through the forum and cannot find an answer to this question, or in some cases I may not understand properly what is meant. Please help.

I have a table with Courses entitled COURSELIST. One of the fields is the Course Title, and one field is the URL where the course is to be found.

e.g.:
    Title¦CourseURL
    -----¦-------------
    Access Basics¦www.abc.com/accessbasics.html

I have built a Report to contain the title of the Course as a clickable hyperlink, with the URL as a target. For the life of me I cannot get this to work, neither as a report, nor as the PDF export I then need it for. If I display the URL in the report, that works fine, but looks horrible as some of the URLs are very long and that just takes away space.

I have set the The Course URL field in the COURSELIST table is a hyperlink field. In the report the control is a text box. I have tried using the "on click" property of the control and also tried to enter some things in the Hyperlink target property. No luck...

Many thanks!

Robert

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    If you want the hyperlink to look nice, use the Hyperlink dialog Text To Display setting.

Report in PrintPreview is not interactive, however, export to PDF should produce a clickable link on the PDF. Works for me. Cannot replicate issue.

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hi June7

Thank you for your help. DB attached. Thre screenshot shows the report I am talking about where I would like the very first column (Entitled Recommended Learning), to show as clickable URL taken from Longurl field in the query used for the Report (currently shown on the right of the report as literal URL).

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AF_Capture.PNG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forgot to mention that the URLs in this DB are all the same which would make things easy, but that's just because I set them to a dummy value. In real life they are all individual URLs coming from the COURSELIST table.

June7 is offline VIP
    A hyperlink is composed of 3 parts. Review: http://www.allenbrowne.com/casu-09.html The Hyperlink type field and its dialog box are intended to facilitate managing hyperlinks. However, it is not required to use the Hyperlink type field in order to have hyperlinks.

In a designated Hyperlink type field, these parts can be edited with the hyperlink dialog or programmatically with VBA. Or hyperlink can be constructed with an expression in query or textbox.

The URL field is not working as hyperlink with the edited value because the Address portion of the hyperlink is not set. I presume your real individual URLs did work.

If you want the left textbox to be a clickable URL link and export to PDF as such, then must bind textbox to the URL field, and as already stated, use the Hyperlink dialog Text To Display setting.

Or if URL is saved to a normal text field, set the textbox properties to:

ControlSource: =[Title] & "#" & [URL] & "#"
    IsHyperlink: Yes
    ForeColor: Hyperlink (or whatever)
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hello June7

thank you so much for the assistance.

1) "If you want the left textbox to be a clickable URL link and export to PDF as such, then must bind textbox to the URL field, and as already stated, use the Hyperlink dialog Text To Display setting. "
    >>I don't understand how to do this. Please describe for me if you could. I tried.

2)
    ControlSource: =[Title] & "#" & [URL] & "#"

IsHyperlink: Yes
    ForeColor: Hyperlink (or whatever)

>>I did this as described, but am getting the error message as shown in attached. Is this perhaps because the URL field in my report is actually a Hyperlink field and not a mere text field?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture1.PNG   Capture2.PNG   Capture3.PNG  

Oh and yes the URLs work if i clock them straight in the source table

June7 is offline VIP
    1. Not sure what the confusion is. Right click on hyperlink field to open hyperlink dialog, set properties - one of which is Text To Display. Or use VBA to modify the hyperlink parts.

2. Yes, as noted in the suggestion, expect URL to be a text field or have to extract the Address part from the hyperlink (not simple). Or if your hyperlinks do not have the Text To Display part completed, this works:

ControlSource: =[Title] & [URL]

Perfect, thank you so much for your help!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.