vicsaccess is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013

recordset versus bound form

I just finished watching Steve Bishops videos 53,54 & 55 again on VBA record sets and I just have a simple question. when is it best to bind a form to a table or query and when would you use a record set. I'm sure I'll get several opinions but I'm just needing to know which is better in different situations.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I always use bound forms for user entry/edit of raw data. I use recordsets when I have to do manipulation of data that is not apparent to the user.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

pbaldy is online now Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    If you mean an unbound form, Jason has some thoughts here:

http://www.baldyweb.com/BoundUnbound.htm

i normally use bound forms (usually with SQL Server back ends), but I have used unbound forms when an app will be used in a WAN environment.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Using Unbound Forms really does away with the basic function of Access, which is to facilitate RAD (Rapid Application Development) and should only be attempted by very experienced Access developers, and then only when/if a legitimate purpose requires it, and most situations don’t! You don't need Unbound Forms to do

1. Data Validation
    2. Formatting Data before it's Saved
    3. Deciding whether or not to actually Save a New or Edited Record

Nor are they needed for another dozen reasons I've seen people give!

Several developers I know, experienced in Visual Basic database development and Access development, estimate that development, using Unbound Forms, by highly experienced developers, takes two to three times as long, using Unbound Forms, as it does when using Access and Bound Forms. That’s because with Bound Forms the Access Gnomes do the vast majority of the heavy lifting; with Unbound Forms the developer has to write code for everything...even the most mundane tasks!

Bottom line is…with Bound Forms you end up writing code for a few specialized situations, such as #1-#3, as listed above…and with Unbound Forms you have to write code for virtually everything that needs to be done!

If you insist on using Unbound Forms, you'd be far better off using a straight VB or C++ front end with a SQL Server or Oracle back end.

• You can create an EXE file which gives total protection to your code/design
    • You can distribute the db to PCs without a copy of Access being on board
    • Your data security is far, far better than anything you can do in Access

Don't misunderstand me...there are a few, specialized situations, where an Unbound Form is preferable...but anyone who routinely uses them for everything, has simply made a bad choice in deciding to work in Access.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

vicsaccess is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    thanks guys, actually that's a relief. i'm having enough fun with the learning that I have done with all of your help. I didn't want to start again since it looked like most of the code was different.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.