pologoalie8908 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Customer Sign-In Log

Hello. New to the forum and to Access. I am looking to create a Customer Sign In Log where people walk in(typically for IT support with computers and usernames and password). I would like to have them fill in their information into some per-defined fields (like departments that are listed in a table) and then when they click Sign In, it generates an entry in a Customer History Report and at the same time ads them to a Waiting list(that can be seen by the help help desk techs sitting at their computer sitting in the back room behind this "Walk In counter"). i am having trouble figuring out how to get the customer info to report to the history report and make it project it to the Modal Dialog that the techs have open on their screens. I am currently working on a switch board so the techs can open different aspects of the database

pbaldy is online now Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    If you have a date/time field with a default value of Now(), you'll have a field you can sort your modal form on. I'd also have a status field you can use to filter out completed items.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Edit: I'm a slow typist /EDIT

having trouble figuring out how to get the customer info to report to the history report and make it project it to the Modal Dialog that the techs have open on their screens.[/QUOTE]I am having trouble understand what your question is and what you are having trouble implementing.

If you want an application that tracks visitor's comings and goings, you will need to start by building the appropriate tables to store data. What are the relevant table names and what are the names of the columns in these tables?

I guess i should update my question. I have 3 combo boxes and 3 or 4 text boxes that I want people to fill in. I then want all of that filled in information to then populate to a new form( the waiting list) and then once a customer has been helped, the technician can click a button next to the name on the waiting list and then that action will then archive that info with a time stamp to a customer history report. I'm new to access and I am trying to recreate this database from how I remember it worked when i used it before at another job. I can eventually try to upload it to see if anyone can help me with it. I don't want someone building it for me. I just need help setting up these actions to make it work.

vicsaccess is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    pologoalie, what you are wanting to accomplish is a fairly easy thing, only complicated by how many bells and whistles you want, how many customers you will have and how much information you want to pass to the techs. I would suggest either picking up a book on access or try an online tutorial. personally I started with one by Richard rost here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySyM...F8AS8T7ppKvm9O
    it was a good starting point that led to other learning.

Quote Originally Posted by vicsaccess View Post
    pologoalie, what you are wanting to accomplish is a fairly easy thing, only complicated by how many bells and whistles you want, how many customers you will have and how much information you want to pass to the techs. I would suggest either picking up a book on access or try an online tutorial. personally I started with one by Richard rost here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySyM...F8AS8T7ppKvm9O
    it was a good starting point that led to other learning.
    About 200+ a week. there will be return customers but again im not keeping a customer database, im keeping a record of how many people came in, and what they came in for and how long it took to help them. I will look at that video and i have been looking for others. I have the meat and potatoes for the database, i just gotta make it all work together

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    All of that filled in information should not populate to another table - this is duplication of data, only record ID should be saved to other table.

Data is not 'archived to a report', data is in tables and reports are based on tables or queries with or without filter criteria. Suggest you have a field in table to indicate the record is 'archived'.

I agree with vicsaccess, complete some tutorials to make sure you have a grounding in basics of relational database principles, Access functionality, programming concepts, coding with macros and/or VBA. Here is another site http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.