notableaudio is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

File Permissions removed after compact and repair

Hi all,

I'm having some big issues today. We are using a split database with the back end on our dedicated "server" on a P2P network running Windows XP. All user permissions have been set long ago and give full access to all users for the server folder and the database file, both of which granting the same access to all subfolders and files.

Initially I was getting an Overflow error when running a make table query. I filtered some records to find the problem but the error persisted. I decided to compact & repair (for the hell of it, I knew it wouldn't affect the overflow error but I wanted to cover my bases as it had been awhile since the last compact). I closed Access on all workstations and backed up the back-end before running the compact/repair. After completing the compact, there were no errors, but I was then unable to open Access successfully. I would get this error:

"The Microsoft Access database engine cannot open or write to the file 'S:\prodn_be.mdb'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view and write its data."

Well no one else was in it and no lock file existed. After some tinkering I looked at the permissions of the compacted file and found that all but the admin user permissions were removed. I checked my back-up file and all permissions were intact. I added my username to the compacted file and as soon as I hit OK, the missing permissions reappeared.

This is very odd, I cannot find any other threads that are experiencing this issue. Is it a problem with the compact routine in Access or OS issues in XP? All permissions have been restored and it is working ok now, but I am now hesitant to compact/repair due to these issues. Anyone see this before?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    The first thing I would do is make a new folder. Call it SAVE or something unique. Copy the current DB file and previous versions as well. Place different iterations of the file in a single location that you can keep track of.

Now go back to the problem child. Make sure there is not a locking file in the same location. Check for an ldb or an laccdb. Move (not copy) the locking file into your SAVE folder, if the locking file exists.

Now, make sure the problem child is not opening in exclusive mode by performing the following...

Open a different Access File, then... Go to File>Close to close the file you just opened and leave the application, Access, open. Move to the Backstage by clicking File, again.

From the Backstage click, Open>Computer>Browse.

From the Open Dialog Box, use the little down arrow (carrot) option next to the open button. Be sure to select the Open option. Do not select Read Only, Open Exclusive, etc.

Now close Access and test opening the file from one of the workstations.

notableaudio is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    The first thing I would do is make a new folder. Call it SAVE or something unique. Copy the current DB file and previous versions as well. Place different iterations of the file in a single location that you can keep track of.

Now go back to the problem child. Make sure there is not a locking file in the same location. Check for an ldb or an laccdb. Move (not copy) the locking file into your SAVE folder, if the locking file exists.

Now, make sure the problem child is not opening in exclusive mode by performing the following...

Open a different Access File, then... Go to File>Close to close the file you just opened and leave the application, Access, open. Move to the Backstage by clicking File, again.

From the Backstage click, Open>Computer>Browse.

From the Open Dialog Box, use the little down arrow (carrot) option next to the open button. Be sure to select the Open option. Do not select Read Only, Open Exclusive, etc.

Now close Access and test opening the file from one of the workstations.

Thanks ItsMe. I have already confirmed the lock file isn't the issue, and have solved the problem getting the database to open properly (missing permissions from Windows users on the Back-end file causing the engine to throw an error).

My question is could the compact/repair routine be changing the Windows XP file permissions, or is this an issue with my OS interfering with a stable compact/repair routine? I can't find anyone else that has experienced the compact/repair causing file permissions to change or be removed, so my hunch is XP is causing the issue not Access but figured I'd ask to see if anyone else has seen the same thing before. I should note that it's repeatable, I compacted/repaired some older back up copies of the back-end, and they all had permissions drop off the list until I edited them, then they all show back up.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    The compact and repair process should not affect permissions. Having said that, if you go directly to an Access file, copy it and then paste it, the file will have an owner of whoever you were logged in as. For instance, log into a computer as Joe and copy a file. Now, paste the file somewhere else. Regardless of the previous Owner, the new Owner will be Joe.

I do not remember all of the peer to peer rules in XP. However, I do believe you can rectify an issues with Owner by using advanced options within Share Permissions>Security. It is ideal to do this to a folder vs. a file. Then, under another Advanced option, you can adjust who is Owner and tick the option to include subfolders and files.

A compact and repair does a little dance where a temp file is created and then recreates the original file. I suppose this could have an impact on permissions and or Owner. However, I do not recall experiencing this issue before. One thing to remember is that Office might still receive updates while XP does not. XP is no longer supported and there is no way to keep XP in synch with application updates.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.