yoseph12 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Part Inspection Database Help

Hi there,

I am brand new to using Access. I've been playing around with it for a couple of weeks now and I think I have a decent grasp to the bare essentials. I am trying to create a database where I can keep track of all the different parts in our shop and also keep track of different part characteristics that need to be measured for each part. I just don't know how to set up a table to track all the parts and what characteristics need to be measured. Each part is unique and the number of characteristics for each part is going to be different. Anyone have any ideas on how I could go about getting this database started?

Thanks!

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Start with a tutorial on database design.
    Here's one you can work through in 30-45 minutes.

Thanks for the response. I have gone through and set up three tables. tblPartNumbers, tblDimensions, tblPartDims....I think this should allow me to store everything I need and tie individual dims to each part. One problem I am having is creating a form to easily enter this data. Would I just need to create a form with multiple input boxes to cover parts that may have 20 critical dimensions, or is there a way to avoid doing this? Ideally, I would want a form that I could use to enter my part data and have the data saved to their respective tables. The form would need to work for a part that has 1 critical dimension as well as a part with 20 critical dimensions. Any suggestions?

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Did you write a clear description of what you are trying to do -similar to the "problem definition" in the tutorial?
    Draw a model on paper; create some sample data for each of the proposed tables. Is all the data you need for a query(ies)
    available?

What are the tables and relationships you have created?

Ok, I have accomplished my first task (tying specific dimensions to each part). I have to tables, tblParts and tblDims. There is a one-to-many relationship tying PartID in tblParts to PartID in tblDims. I then created my main form, frmParts, and then added a sub-form to that form to enter any critical dims that we will want to measure on that part. So far so good.

My next task is finding a way to create an inspection form where I can pull up part information (mainly what dims need measured) and then enter the actual measurements for the dimensions I specified as critical. Each part inspected would have its own entry into an 'Inspection' table, I believe. Any suggestions on this? Your help so far has been great.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Possibly need form/subform arrangement. Main form bound to tblParts, subform bound to tblInspections with combobox to select a dimension.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.