orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Anyone opted for the free upgrade win 8.1 to 10?

I have had several notices from M$oft to upgrade to Windows 10 free since I have an authentic copy of 8.1 on my Lenovo laptop. My concern initially was that I don't have 8.1 on DVD , so if I got part way through the upgrade to 10, and had major problems, then I'd be stuck in no mans land --no Win 10 and no way to reinstall 8.1.

However, after doing a little research I also found this (youtube re Windows 10). And there are other articles suggesting you could be giving up most of your privacy....

Now I'm wondering what others have done re the free upgrade.

NOTE:

I see a lot of views, but not many comments. Thanks Allan and Perceptus for comments!
    I really would like to hear comments from those who have made or considered the switch to the free WIN 10 offer.
    Last edited by orange; 11-24-2015 at 02:08 PM.

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Jack
    I have upgraded to Win 10 but went from Win 7. Never had 8. I have had no issues with loading and upgrading. I think most of the dialogue about privacy is not true. I recall reading something from Tech Republic (I get a regular email newsletter from them) and it said it is a non issue for the most part if I remember correctly

I am happy with the upgrade.

Perceptus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    There are always a number of horror stories on the net about upgrading an OS. Ive installed 10 on a number of PC's and Laptops. Going from from Vista to 10 is amazing in performance gains. Privacy concerns are always real. Ive heard users say that their windows phone and pc have pictures shared between them and they have no idea how it occured. Just the same I have a windows phone and windows 10 and have not seen this.

I recommend putting windows 10 on a USB with the Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool. There are some workarounds to get it to work on windows 8.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    I'm on 8.1 and tried upgrading to 10 - but then could not get access to internet (via cable to router, it appeared to only allow a wireless connection). I was able to get back to 8.1 by reverting to the previous working installation without a problem. Not had time to try on another computer which is wireless or reinstall and try again.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I converted a WIN 7 system to Win 10. I was able to download a full version of Win 10 and installed using that. Doing so allowed me to reformat the hard drive; I like clean installs. No issues installing.

Not happy with the WIN 10 interface. Menu really limiting - hard to create new tool bars and add shortcuts.
    Searching for files is a RPITA.

Definitely would consider it a poor second to XP.

Windows XP Access 2003

Tonya Alcantar is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013
    Yes, I'm one among the others who opted to upgrade to Windows 10 because of some negative issues that I have been hearing but my brother told me that there's nothing wrong with upgrading. Good to know here, that it has clean install in having Win 10 from Win 7.

davegri is offline Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I'm on 8.1 and tried upgrading to 10 - but then could not get access to internet (via cable to router, it appeared to only allow a wireless connection).
    I had that problem too. I was running 8.1 and had a virtual machine installed to look at Ubuntu. After the upgrade to 10, Windows only connected to the internet via wireless. I finally discovered that the virtual machine had taken my cable internet connection for itself and to hell with Windows. Deleting the virtual machine (remove via Programs and FEATURES) allow me to get it back. I won't be looking at Ubuntu any time soon. I've upgraded two other machines with no problems.

redbull is offline Competent Performer
    I upgraded from 7 to 10, I'm a fan of windows 10. The look and feel of windows 7, with the kernel/cpu optimizations of windows 8.1. The look and feel is an adjustment, but nowhere as wide of a gap between xp and 7.

The privacy concerns are real, there are tools out there to disable alot of the built in "features" that really just act as malware. I don't mess with them because I like the experience from leaving Cortana and such on. Basically its the same reason I use google chrome over tor. I know google is selling my information to marketing firms and stuff (and using too much memory!!!), but they are giving me a great web browser experience in return.

If you take the upgrade, I believe there is a time frame when you can "rollback" your old operating system, confirm that before taking my word for it.

Estelle Dane is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013 64bit
    I just bought Dell Inspiron 14 5000 Series and it also offers a free upgrade to Windows 10 offer lasts until July 9, 2016. If I changed my mine I can downgrade before July 9, 2016 because if not I will forever have Windows 10 in my laptop. I haven't tried it though probably next week.

Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I did finally get Win 10

I
    n the final scheme of things, I got a notice (I had had several) that WIN 10 was available and did I want to install. I always said no thanks. Then 1 night I was shutting down, and apparently I was being asked what time would be a good time for the automatic install (whatever the exact message was I don't remember) any I said no and walked away. Then, the laptop screen was lit and the install of WIN 10 was underway. So somehow???? I answered a different question and now have 10. It seems fine. I don't do anything business wise on the machine. Just email, skype, google and a number of Access forums.
    Latest info @July 2016 see
    Disheartened by Stealth Windows 10 Upgrades

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.