emihir0 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Make a website (very basic) connected to the data in the access database.

Hello,

I have trouble finding a tutorial or a guide on how to create a website that would cooperate with my access database. Basically, it would connect to a very simple database containing our current inventory stock. Of course, a change in the inventory (off-line, through front-end application) should affect what is being displayed on the website (on-line).

Please bear in mind that this website should be public. I know there is SharePoint web application that you can do, but can this be accessed publicly by anyone?

Thanks in advance!

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by emihir0 View Post
    ...I know there is SharePoint web application that you can do, but can this be accessed publicly by anyone?...
    I do not know the answer to this, but I will say that it is likely anything is possible. However you decide to proceed, the solution will not be simple. It may be easiest to hire a consultant. You will need a database that is hosted on a webserver and this database will need to have a public facing endpoint(s). You will need to have answers to questions, like who will need to update the data on the webserver in order to determine how to synchronize data with various sources.

There are many products out there. I might recommend Microsoft Azure and SQL database.

Phred is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Additional Considerations

A word of caution. You can expose your data to the outside via SharePoint. However, you must carefully consider security and data quality. SharePoint is its own world. ItsMe is absolutely correct, this will not be simple. Exposing something as critical and exact, like inventory, is a project well beyond tutorial. You will need to program a ton of validation rules to run against the new data prior to synchronizing "new but invalid data" through out your system. You must be able to test, and roll back any transaction that still makes it past your validation rules. If you do not protect all of your data in this inventory system, the invalid data that is written will rapidly invalidate any/all downstream calculations made from invalid data. The downstream data degradation resulting from incorrect data can be rapid and catastrophic.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.