raffi is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Search as you type, by using 2 textbox's to search 1 column

Hello,

i feel like i'v gotten close, but just not quiet there yet, would be much appreciated if any suggestions, or help, could be provided, and thank you in advance.

i have a customer table with customer field in it,
    i have a query exactly based on the customer table,
    i have a form named form1

i got 2 textbox's in Form1, named TxtCustomer1 and TxtCustomer2

now in the query, within the criteria of the customer field, i have the following code indicated below

Code:
    Like "*" & [forms]![Form1]![TxtCustomer1].[Text] & "*" And Like "*" & [forms]![Form1]![txtCustomer2].[Text] & "*"

so u see where im going with this, i have placed the query in "form1" as a subform, named Sub1

and the 2 textboxes "TxtCustomer1 and TxtCustomer2" have an "on change" event, which requery's the Sub1

ok so now, the 2 textboxes are operational, and are able to filter the "Sub1" subform in "form1"

but here's the problem, im not being able to filter this 1 column by using 2 textBoxes together, its filtering but separately.
    or in other words, after filtering "Sub1" using TxtCustomer1 , when i switch to TxtCustomer2 and start typing, its restarting the sort in Sub1, and starting over, and vice versa.

alright, now i'v actually been able to sort one column with 2 textboxes ,BUT, had to make 2 changes, which are indicated below.

change 1) using "After Update" event, instead of "on change" event
    change 2) using the same exact code which i'v posted above, but without the [Text] Control property, which looks like what is indicated below

Code:
    Like "*" & [forms]![Form1]![TxtCustomer1] & "*" And Like "*" & [forms]![Form1]![TxtCustomer2] & "*"
    again any help would be much appriciated, thank you in advance

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    This filter parameter won't work. How can any record match the criteria of AND operator? A value in the field cannot match both parameters. Perhaps should be OR operator?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    hello June7 thanks responding

well i was thinking, since the 2 TxtBoxes are operational, but however canceling each other out, or in other words, not working together to search one column,
    maybe that one column could be re-query'ed by "TxtCustomer1 & TxtCustomer2 both at once" while typing only in "TxtCustomer2" or only in "TxtCustomer1"

in other words, i would be re-querying a subform, by 2 textboxes at all times, by typing into 1 of the textbox's at all times.

but this means i would have to re-apply a filter without change happening in one of the textboxes hmmm .....

so a function would be responsible for re-querying the subform using the 2 textboxes

and that function would be run everytime change happen in one of the textboxes

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Doesn't alter what I said about using AND operator.

I've never used Change event, only AfterUpdate.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

sstiebinger is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    What is the purpose of 2 text boxes for the same field?
    What are you trying to accomplish?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    well i have a field name called "ItemDescription" it has 3 categories in it,

1) the name of the item
    2) the Size of the item
    3) the color of the item

so im using 3 textboxes to filter that one column, or in other words, to narrow down data as i type in each textbox, its working, but only with the after update event
    im trying to achieve the same result but with the "on_change" event, so it would be search as you type kind of filter.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    so to understand correctly, your item description is a single field with data like "Hoodie Large Gray" ? Wouldn't it make more sense to have 3 fields for that and then filter each field independently?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    it would, but the database which the company is dependent on unfortunately done it that way

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Then assuming the text is always in the same order (Name-Size-Color)
    Code:
    LIKE "*" & [txt1] & "*" & [txt2] & "*"
    If the order is arbitrary (Name-Color-Size, Color-Size-Name) then
    Code:
    LIKE "*" & [txt1] & "*" & [txt2] & "*" OR LIKE "*" & [txt2] & "*" & [txt1] & "*"
    And using the afterupdate.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.