SJS274099 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Database Setup / Intial Design Question...please help me get started (thanks)

We are a fabless semiconductor company. Our product flow consist of these building blocks.

1. Wafers - The wafer will be manufactured and be assigned a unique Wafer Lot and then each wafer will have a unique s/n inside that lot.
    2. Assembly - The wafers will then be assembled into individual packages and be assigned an Assembly Lot code and a Date Code (for the batch). (This lot may be 50K parts and later be shipped to multiple customers)
    3. Test - The packages will then go to electrical test and the passing parts will be assigned a unique Test Lot.
    4. Tape and Reel - The tested lot will then go to be taped and reeled and be assigned a unique Tape and Reel Lot with each reel having a unique s/n inside the lot.
    5. Customer - Individual serialized reels will then be shipped out to the various customers with each reel having a label that identifies the

These processes are in different factories and will be in the sequence above but there could be gaps along the way depending on many factors. I need to be able to build the data as each step completes.

This will be used to keep track of manufacturing, shipping and customer ship to and most importantly I need backward and forward traceability using any of the unique identifiers. If, for example, a customer has a question or issue I will ask them for the label information which will include Assembly Lot, Date Code and Reel #. I would need to be able to query and find the entire genealogy of the part. Secondly, I would need to identify all customers this same Date Code / Assembly Lot may have been shipped to.

I am very new at Access 2013 but have some limited knowledge so I think I can do this with some assistance. I am particularly interested if I should create a table for each "block" if you will but then I also question what the one to one, one to many really means and how to set that up. Thanks in advance for your help. I will be checking back to the forum through out the weekend.

Steven

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    IMO, manufacturing db is one of the more difficult to build (up there with time & attendance and family tree). Has been topic of several threads. Have you searched?

Need to understand relational database principles, Access functionality, programming concepts, VBA language/syntax and/or macro building.

Should probably become more comfortable with basics by completing some tutorials. Here is one http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Steven,

I agree with June that this is not a trivial application. In fact it is very complex -- not something to be done as first time (or very early on) developer who recognizes he "has limited knowledge".
    This not a programming task as such. You are involving the business that crosses factories and various business areas and processes. Most of all at this point you need some sort of detailed description of the "big picture" you are trying to support, you need some sort of plan of activities, and priorities, and resources (including a communications plan) and some reasonable understanding of the feasibility of the various steps involved.

Has someone given you the go ahead to "build a database" and provided the necessary resources?

A few years back we would have called this some sort of problem analysis/problem identification which would lead to a Project Initiation. The PI would identify the "Big picture", and where this initial step would fit. It would include identification of resources including the Project/Task leader, and other personnel and roles, a best guess time line for completion, and costs. The output of this would be a more detailed plan with priorities and resource requirements which would go to management for critique and acceptance to proceed.

An option here would be the identification of commercial products that may meet your needs.

Maybe I'm reading more into your post than you foresee, but I'm giving my advice based on what you described.

Good luck.
    Last edited by orange; 11-07-2015 at 10:22 AM.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    It is doubtful that you should build a separate table per block. In general your 1-5 explanation all seems ok....but you throw in some vague terms i.e. 'lots' , 'packages' - that can be misinterpreted.

If there is indeed volumes of 50k then data entry automation may be needed - and depending on your ultimate overall volume this could be an application that challenges a PC platform.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.