MatthewGrace is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Your favorite resources for becoming and advanced VBA Programmer

I happen across videos on Access VBA from time to time, most of them aimed at the beginner level. Some of these are very well made videos that take you by the hand through fundamental aspects of programming. Trouble is, I've long since exhausted all these resources and become "almost intermediate-ish", I'm finding far less quality teaching resources. I know what all the loops are and the most common properties and controls and such, but I'm seeing advanced users who have intimate understanding of many objects and are wizards with expression building, etc.

I'm asking for anyone who is at the advanced level to chip in if they've discovered a resource that provided them a bolus of VBA-skill when they were at the intermediate level.

Thanks for sharing!

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    For me it is just google or bing and learning on the job - I don't think you will find advanced training on the web - perhaps a college or training centre of some sort which you can attend. I still learn today on this and other forums.

Once you have learned the basics it and start to delve into more complex and often specific requirements, they are often for the benefit of a relatively small audience. Someone, somewhere will no doubt have had the same requirement at some point which you can find on the web through one of hundreds of forums. Perhaps not the exact solution you require, but enough to set you off in the right direction. Sometimes the trick is just to find the right keyword to use.

And sometimes curiosity - there are hundreds of properties/event for controls, forms etc most of which are never modified - so you never find out or really understand what they do, but google them and find out and put the knowledge away until you might need it.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    For me, studying C# and using Visual Studio is what helped my VBA skills. Also, studying Application Architecture helped A LOT. What these things taught me was not VBA, but taught me how to better understand application development and books like Access 2010 VBA Programming Inside Out ...
    https://www.microsoftpressstore.com/...-9780735659872

Visual Studio costs money, but you can download free versions. One issue with learning is that curriculum becomes outdated fast. So, if you download the latest free version of Visual Studio Community, you may not be able to follow along with all of the labs within a specific tutorial. The tutorial may ask you to 'click here' and, in your version of the IDE, that option is not available or it is somewhere else or it is already baked into your IDE.

I would start by trying to follow along with a programming tutorial that uses Visual Studio. Here is one that was made a few years ago for Visual Basic. I looked at the link and it seems the first video of the series is on the last page.
    https://channel9.msdn.com/Series/Vis...lute-Beginners

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.