jotaeleele is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

Error modifying Oracle data from Access in a Windows 7 64 bits computer

Hi all !

We have an Oracle 9.2 database installed on a server. Recently, our desktop computers have been migrated to Windows 7 64 bits. Users work with a Microsoft Access application that interacts with the Oracle database. In each computer, we have the following software installed:

- Oracle Client 11g R2 32 bits
    - odbc driver 11.2 32 bits for Oracle Database.
    - MS Access 2003 32 bits.

The odbc connection is correctly established through odbccad32.exe. We are able to see the data through the MS Access application, but when we try to modify data, it doesn´t work and the following error message shows up: "writing conflict". That happens even if I am the only person opening that table. By the way, our language is Spanish and when we read data through Access, strange caracters appear, like for example an "?" instead of "ñ" or accents. This application runs correctly on Windows XP 32 bits.

I´m aware that this Oracle database is out of support and quite old, but we cannot actually migrate to Oracle 11 or 12 because we are using other old applications that do not run correctly on these Oracle version.

Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I really can only guess at what your problem is, but I found the following link. In the link, they mention that the Users on the client need Admin rights to their C drive. Maybe you can locate the Oracle files and isolate those folders.
    http://www.dadbm.com/oracle-11gr2-cl...oubleshooting/

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    There are a number of Oracle user groups around (at least there used to be). Have you tried posting/montoring any of these?
    The article ItsMe suggested seemed to be specific to Win 7 32 bit, but perhaps it is a more generic 32/64bit discussion.
    You didn't mention the server used by Oracle.
    Did anyone do some testing before this became an operational issue? Was there something different in the test set up?
    As for language peculiarities this could be related to Regional setting, code pages and I believe there is/was a language routine/module in Oracle... I don't recall the name but found this.

Good luck.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    ...The article ItsMe suggested seemed to be specific to Win 7 32 bit, but perhaps it is a more generic 32/64bit discussion....
    It did not read the link in depth, but there was a link within for info regarding the install of the 64 bit version. Maybe the 32 bit driver does not work on W7 64bit.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Here are a few links I found via Google (I've been away from any Oracle activity for 7 years so can't offer details)

http://dbaportal.eu/2011/08/29/oracl...windows-7-x64/
    http://www.orafaq.com/node/60

I'd still like to know what testing was done prior to the move to Win 7 32 bit.

jotaeleele is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

RE: Error modifying Oracle data from Access in a Windows 7 64 bits computer

Hi all:

Thanks for the very interesting responses, ItsMe and orange. Let me give you additional data:

- The server where Oracle 9.2 32 bits is installed runs Windows 2003 server R2 32 bits.
    - Desktop computers with Windows XP, MS Access 2003 32 bits and Oracle Client 10.2 32 bits work correctly, and they can update Oracle tables from MS Access

I did post two messages in Oracle forums and didn´t get any answer.

The article suggested by ItsMe talked about errors when installing 32 bit and 64 bits Oracle Clients. Since I didn't get any error in the client installation, I do not think that was the problem.

I also think that it is not a question of regional settings, since desktops with Windows XP run the Access application and see the data correctly, being able to update without trouble.

The first link suggested by orange is an interesting tip that I had applied. The 32-bit Microsoft C++ 2005 SP1 is installed in the desktop computer with Windows 7 64 bits that I'm using to do the tests. Installing instantclient 11 32 bits and defining and testing the odbc connection ends up correctly. The problem is that when I open a linked table in Access 2003, I cannot update the data. I do see the data in the Oracle tables through Access, but I cannot update any register.

The second link provided by orange, as far as I have understood, allows an Oracle Server to query Access tables, which is the opposite I'm trying to do. We need to update Oracle tables from Access 2003.

Thanks again for your tips.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I don't use C++ so can offer no advice on any commonality between it and Access re ODBC.

You may find something here.
    Or here.
    Or here
    This may be useful
    Do you get a specific error message?

Did you test the Win 7 linking to Oracle before moving to operations/production? Did you have the problem at that point?
    What is the full description(supplier, version etc) of the ODBC driver you are using?

BANGBANG is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Did you solve your issue?
    I have the same problem with Ñ characters... from both drivers:
    - Microsoft ODBC for oracle
    - Oracle client
    Same instalation in Windows 7 32bits (Access 2010 32 bits + Windows 7 32 bits) get the correct characters

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.