starhannes is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2007

Reference to a Query

My form only has one text item:

Name: Michael Jordan

And i have a query, of only Basketball players, now i want to add on my form:

Does he play basketball?: YES or NO

I added a text box and tried: =IIF([Name]=[Query]![Name], "yes", "no")

but of course i get a #name? error

could someone help me?

Thanks!!

Datagopherdan is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Is this an unbound text box? Why can't you just create a "Yes/No" field in your table to indicate whether or not someone plays basketball?

Windows 7 Access 2007
    What is an unbound text box?

Are you saying in Table : Sport Players i should add a column "Basketball player?" where a user inputs Yes or No? Can this be done so that it checks automatically in the "Basketball Teams" table?

I want this to be an automatic process... so that when im Browsing Michael Jordan, it checks in another table to see if he is a basketball player (list of basketball teams), a third table if he is a football player (with football teams) etc etc..

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Ok, I'm guessing that you're new to database design. I would suggest reading up on relational databases a little. Theres a ton of information you can find through Google.

You do not need to create separate tables for all the different types e.g. basketball, football etc. You would create a lookup table that would contain all the different types. If you're new to Access, it would be difficult to explain how to do everything and the logic behind it if you don't first have the basics. I would suggest reading up Access table design some, so you can learn the basics. Once you have that down, what you're trying to do will be a snap.

Quote Originally Posted by starhannes View Post
    What is an unbound text box?

Are you saying in Table : Sport Players i should add a column "Basketball player?" where a user inputs Yes or No? Can this be done so that it checks automatically in the "Basketball Teams" table?

I want this to be an automatic process... so that when im Browsing Michael Jordan, it checks in another table to see if he is a basketball player (list of basketball teams), a third table if he is a football player (with football teams) etc etc..

Windows 7 Access 2007

Thanks alot for your help i know i am a noob, but i really wanna learn..thanks

Windows 7 Access 2007
    We were all beginners at one time asking the same questions that you are. So don't ever feel like you're a "Noob". LOL

Quote Originally Posted by starhannes View Post

Thanks alot for your help i know i am a noob, but i really wanna learn..thanks

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.