ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Access 2013 Problem Removing Breakpoints

I have been using Access 2013 to develop an application and have been having trouble removing breakpoints. When I set a breakpoint, everything is great. The breakpoint works just fine. When I click on the red dot to remove the breakpoint, the breakpoint will disappear from view. However, when I run the application, the breakpoint will reappear. The only way I have been able to remove the breakpoints is to use Ctrl + Shift + F9 or click the menu.

I suppose there is some sort of corruption, but I have not been able to identify where. I have rebuilt the app for other corruption issues and the breakpoint symptom remains. I believe there was a time I was able to remove the breakpoint by clicking it. However, I do not know that for sure.

Has anybody else experienced this before?

InsuranceGuy is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    I have experienced this. I like your solution. Mine was more brutal. Remove the offending routine to a text editor, then reinsert the routine from the text editor.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I had a similar problem in A2K and it has also happened in A2010.

If I had breakpoints set, then did a "Compact and Repair", when executing the code, sometimes the IDE would open stopped at the line where I had the breakpoint set. Hitting F5 (resume) while in the IDE allowed the code to complete execution.

*Most* of the time, using the undocumented decompile command seemed to fix the problem.
    Apparently, the VBA project gets a little confused doing a "Compact and Repair" when there are breakpoints set.

Don't have A2013 so can't comment on that..

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post
    ...If I had breakpoints set, then did a "Compact and Repair",...
    I think this is what I did and the reason why my app is acting goofy. Man, not sure I want to risk a decompile.

HiTechCoach is offline MS MVP - Access Expert
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Whenever I have seen this happen I use the /decompile switch to clean up the remove the compiled VBA code and recompile from the source.

see: http://www.fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAcces.../Decompile.asp

In my experience this starts happening when you edit the VBA code after it has started executing and stopped at a breakpoint. I also do the breakpoint testing on a copy of the front end.

If you don't want to use the decompile switch or it doesn't work, then you are left with 1) recreate the dB from scratch or 2) delete all of the VBA code, then re-add it.

In my case, using A2K, nothing would execute. The error message was about not being able to connect to the internet. But I wasn't trying to connect to the internet.
    The FE/BE was on the same computer. I could still open the dB in design view, so I opened each code module, copied the code and pasted it to a text file (one file per module).
    Then I opened each form and report in design view and set the "Has Module" property to "NO". Saving the form/report deletes the code module. I also deleted all standard modules (after coping the code).
    I created a new, empty dB and imported the tables (and created new links), forms, queries and reports.
    Next comes the decompile. This should remove the dB VBA project and other errors.

Next, I created new standard modules (one at a time), pasted in the code, compiled the code after each paste and saved.
    Then each form/report code. Add the module, paste the code, compile, save.
    You can throw in a "Compact and repair" from Access any time you want.

The trick is to remove the VBA project. This can only be done by removing ALL of the code, which requires setting the "Has module" property to NO.

It took me about 2 weeks to figure this out. All of the backups were bad because the VBA project was going "bad" over time. Under huge pressure.

As Hitechcoach said, I was editing running code, and doing too many copy and pastes before compiling. Now it is add a few lines of code and compile - save.
    I have a new rule: No more editing executing code......

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I am already planning and dreading rebuilding the modules using copy paste and a text editor. I think the moral of the story is to do a really good job of separating Debug Time from Design Time. Not sure if I get lazy or over ambitious. I know I do not enjoy writing down notes, though.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    I am already planning and dreading rebuilding the modules using copy paste and a text editor. I think the moral of the story is to do a really good job of separating Debug Time from Design Time. Not sure if I get lazy or over ambitious. I know I do not enjoy writing down notes, though.
    Be sue to make a lots of back ups as you go.

Have you tried restoring a backup and then importing in the chaages?

Windows 8 Access 2013

In my case, using A2K, nothing would execute.

Access 20o0 is very buggy. I would not even support it until the SP2 update.

It is a known issue that after you copy and paste VBA code is was critical that you used the compile option on the menu before you saved. If you did not it often would corrupt all the VBA code.

I will not do any design changes in Access 2000. Just to risky. If I have a client that has a 2000 format database I will do all the editing with Access 2003. I will only use Avcess 200o to compile the front end into a mde.
    Last edited by HiTechCoach; 11-02-2015 at 06:07 PM.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HiTechCoach View Post
    ... I will only use Avcess 200o to compile the front end into a mde.
    And that is a key point to make.

BTW, I was forced to move to A2010...... but lessons learned....

Windows 8 Access 2013
    BTW, I was forced to move to A2010...... but lessons learned....
    That is a good thing. Access 2010 is much better than the buggy 2000.

The new form and object design properties make it very easy to give forms have a very modern look.

I know... I'm getting used to it, but I totally hate the ribbon.

Ended up adding all of the commands I use to the QAT where I can find them....

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.