Baldeagle is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Access crashes when I try to open a macro in design view

Without having made any changes to my setup, Access now crashes when I try to open a Macro in design view. I have checked the Trust Center and the folder where my database is stored is trusted (including sub-folders). Can anyone throw some light on what could have happened and, more importantly, how I can fix the problem! I am running Office Pro 2013 with Windows 8.1.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    It could be a corruption problem. First thing I would try is a "Compact and Repair" on the database.
    If that does not fix it, you may want to open a brand new blank database, import all your objects and code from the other database over into it, and then trying opening the Macro is Design View in that database. If it works, then your old database is probably corrupted and you should use this new copy.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Thanks for the suggestion. Compact & Repair has made no difference. I will try bringing some of my objects into a new Database later and see what happens.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Yes, unfortunately if your database is corrupted, Compact & Repair usually does not fix it. But it is worth a try first, as it is the easiest.

Actually, creating a new database like I described is fairly easy too. In your new blank database, you just go to Import, select Access Database, and select all the Objects at once and import. You can also elect to import any Import/Export specifications, if you have any.

I find the only thing I usually have to do after importing into a new database is to re-select my Start-Up Form, if I have one.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I have copied all my objects into a new database and can now open my Macros in design view! Many thanks for your guidance - very much appreciated.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You're welcome!

Yes, unfortunately Access is susceptible to corruption, and you may have to do this from time-to-time. So it is good to know.

DatabaseDave is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi if you're looking for an option that may repair the existing database you can try the following which worked for me with the same error opening a macro.

to start with, yes rebuilding the database should fix this issue,

Repair the existing database: As I was importing the objects into a new database I got an error on 1 object, a form wouldn't import,

I deleted the form and replaced it with a version from an earlier backup, then decompiled and compacted and repaired and the error opening a macro had resolved and I could continue to use my original database.

Not sure if it was necessary to decompile, but I did this anyway, the faulty form was what was crashing my database and the import function was a fast way to identify the rogue form.

Hope this helps future users

AceKipp is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    2020 update and additional answer. I had the same "crash when opening macro" problem on an app originally built in 2010 that I was trying to upgrade to 2019 Pro. Here's a simple way to fix the problem and help yourself out...Clean the app. When upgrading your access app from earlier versions to 2019 Pro or later, delete any and all development tables, queries, macros, forms, anything you do not use in the app...old, outdated, whatever, check everywhere in your app and GET RID OF IT! problem solved and your app is now less cluttered and easier to maintain...worked great for our upgrade situation.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.