gangel is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Two of same table, finding "new data" and updating it told other table

Hey pplz!

So:
    I have 2 tables in 2 databases.
    They WERE the same, but I left one of them at my business to be updated with input forms.

I now have that home and need to "search" this table for new data that has been inputted and copy it to the original table if it is newer.

I was thinking of 2 x DAO datasets and then

if dao1(0) <> dao2(0) then dao(0) = dao2(0)

etc etc

and comparing each record.

There are no NEW records, just data in the same records etc.

If anyone can just give me the heads up if im totally going about this the right way?

Or should I be looking at an update query with all fields joined looking for "new data"

It is a feature I will be using every few weeks until my program goes "live" and our data is updated from work (from paperwork to Access)

I don't want the original dB at work and just rely on that, as it is going to get screwed by some idiot, and I don't want to just leave the one at home as a backup then use the new one from business, as there are about 20 tables and I don't know if other data has been played with!

Thanks for reading and any advice!
    Gangel

JamesDeckert is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    An update query will definitely be simpler as long as there are no new records. If there are new records you can use an append query also.

The question is, are you modifying the db at home? if not, just copy the one from work each day/week as your new backup instead of continuing to make changes to an original backup.
    Why would people at work be messing with the tables? Do you have forms for all the data input? And train the employees on how to use the db.

gangel is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Thanks James,
    The Home one is my master copy that I am working on bug fixes and stuff, sometimes adding some changes to table structure etc, so yes I am making changes (front adn backend)

The work one is functional however 19 of 20 tables are being used in "practice mode" and data is being input to play around with the invoicing system and payments etc that are all FAKE. So i keep my REAL data at home while work colleagues learn to use the program whilst knowing they are not ruining the real data (as i have it saved at home).

They do however know that ONE part of the system is available to update real data to. These are our customers (224 customers). They are mainly adding bank details, ABN, phone, fax email. Etc etc when they get a chance.

They know that THIS data is important and isnt "fake practice" stuff, but the rest of the system they can play with.

Thats why I need to extract info from one table only, but leave the rest for them to still play with.

Hope it makes sense.

It's only a 2 week setup, as in 2 weeks ill be going live and we will have a backup inplace and all data they input will be "real" and i wont have this master version at home.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.