Perceptus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

IDE Addin

Do the IDE Addins for Access work similar to IDE Addins for vb6? I was thinking of making one to change the HWND Parent values for windows so that they use the desktop instead.

using

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

and the related contents for Child and Parent styles.

If this uncharted waters, Ill just go and hope to not break too much.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I have never thought of using Windows API's as an Add In. I recall a couple of situations where I retrieved the handle of a Window when it was created so I could do something with it. I just placed the code in a Standard Module. I suppose you could create your own Add In so it would be easier to use in multiple applications.

Do you know if I will need to use Vb6 to make the addin? or can i use a newer version of vb.(vb6 runs like poo on windows 10 for me)

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    My understanding is you can use whatever to create whatever and use whatever you created. For instance, consider the dll file that you are interested in using to manage window handles. I believe this was created using c++, but don't quote me on that. there is an API offered that you can gain access to this dll via an entry point. I say use VBA to access the file and place the code in a standard module. You could also use a custom class. Either way, you can place the module(s) in an Access file and reference the Access file. You can use the Add In manager within Access to look for an Access File with the accda extension. I never used the Add-In Manager, but you might want to give it a go.

I say place your Class library in an accde and reference that. This way, the VBA is removed and would be more difficult to reconstruct human programming language.

Here is an example of using an API to get at the System Clock. The keys are, identify a name for your sub-procedure, identify a name for your function, identify the appropriate dll file, and identify the entry point for the dll file.

Code:
    Option Compare Database

Declare Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long)

Public Sub PauseCode(MillisecondsCount As Long)
        Sleep MillisecondsCount
    End Sub

Turns out I was able to get Visual Studio 98 installed on windows 10. the installer didn't like it much and complained alot and didn't finish, but it works. Ill post as I make progress.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.